We need your amazing chicken photos for our 2020 Calendar! Submit your pics HERE!

How does this happen?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Blue Coop Mamere, Jul 20, 2019.

1. Blue Coop Mamere

Blue Coop Mamere In the Brooder

Jun 23, 2017
    I have six hens, one lays white eggs and the other five lay various shades of brown. One day this week I found three white eggs in one nesting box. (There are three boxes.) Is it possible for a chicken who lays a brown egg to lay a white one, or is it possible that my Leghorn laid three eggs in one afternoon? My Leghorn is four years old.

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. .....

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    How many brown eggs did you collect that day? Brown eggs are white shelled eggs with a coating of brown pigment applied after the shell is complete, it is possible that two of those eggs were not from the leghorn.

aart likes this.
  3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Sometimes the 'spray booth' malfunctions and egg that are normally brown are much lighter....all the way to white because they didn't get that brown coating.
    Put those eggs on a white piece of paper......are they truly white or a very light brown?
    Is it hot where you are?....the heat can make for some funky eggs.

chickens really likes this.
  4. hkirchn

hkirchn Songster

Feb 17, 2014
    Canton, MO
    It's unlikely a four year old Leghorn laid three eggs in one afternoon; some good comments above.

5. Blue Coop Mamere

Blue Coop Mamere In the Brooder

Jun 23, 2017
    I totally agree. Thank you so very much!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: