1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How does this happen?

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Rowsdower, Feb 24, 2013.

1. Rowsdower

Rowsdower Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2012
    As a fairly new chicken mom (this is my first year), I find myself worrying constantly about these silly birds. They make me a little crazy, and not in a good way. I wake up in the middle of the night fearing that I forgot to latch the coop at least once a week (it's always latched, ftr). I've found myself driving home at near light speed just to get home before the dark critters come out. I finished my first chicken saddle two days ago because one of my girls "looked cold". But today takes the cake...

Around 3pm I noticed one of my girls missing so I walked the perimeter checking under bushes and in corners, listening for the slightest hen scratch and convincing myself that every little leaf rustle was her. I walked all through the woods behind the property and the surrounding properties. For two hours, I searched. I asked neighbors to no avail. As I was just about to break into a royal freakout, I opened the lid to the trash bin near their coop and there she was. She'd apparently somehow gotten into the bin without my knowledge and I had put the lid on with her inside. I snatched her up and kissed her all over, despite the fact that she now smells like a dirty trash can. I'm just glad it wasn't trash night. The garbage man might have gotten quite a shock...or breakfast.

2. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Those chickens do the darndest things!

3. Dowie

Dowie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    I hate the way they hide![​IMG]Thank goodness you found her. What a smelly place to hide, the silly thing.

4. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Quite a happy ending! Thanks for sharing. The things we do for our birds! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by