1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

how does this sound?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by patandchickens, Jan 23, 2008.

1. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Can I run my 2008 plans by y'all and get whatever comments you may have?

I am thinking I will order chicks for late May or early June (need to go out of town for 10 days sometime in May, waiting to hear when our horse-sitter is taking *her* vacation before I can pin down dates, but can't have chicks or eggs here while we're away). Planning to order from a small hatchery about 2 hrs away (www.performancepoultry.com). Since it looks like they *can* provide what I want, no reason to import from McMurray which was the other option I was considering.

I definitely want speckled sussex (for some eggs, to try eating culls/surplus, and to see if I like them enough to want to breed) and golden campines (just for pretty).

I'm thinking I will order 12 or so s.s. and 6 g.c. Does straight run makes the most sense? (Make soup out of extra s.s. roos, and extra g.c. can presumably(?) be sold or given away since they are purty and a bit unusual). My idea is to only carry maybe 6-8 sussex and 2-4 campines over the winter. Plus of course the 2 RSL we have already.

I would also really like to get light sussex (my husband's mother used to have them when she was a kid), but it is unclear whether I can obtain any this year as they're pretty difficult to find in Canada. Am thinking I will tell hatchery guy 'if you do get any, I will happily take up to a dozen chicks, any time after late May', but then if none materialize it'll give me something to do next year or the year after, waiting will not kill me.

Also I will be trying to get a dozen BO eggs from another canadian BYCer... but who knows how they will do with shipping across the country, have to wait and see if any hatch.

I do not know whether I would try to mix 'em all together or keep separate pens - the building is set up so that either would be easy, although multiple waterers would be a nuisance in winter. I figure I will keep my options open and see how it goes.

There are some other breeds I would really like to 'try', maybe just 2 hens of each -- barred rock, australorp, chantecler, EE. Just for fun and variety. I am more than half tempted to get a few of those thrown in with my hatchery chicks this year, but (sigh) I think it would be a lot more sensible to wait, as I can always get some in future years and it will give me an excuse for a few more chicks down the road, right? [​IMG]

(Edited to add: oh, and I would like to try raising about 8-10 broiler chicks from the feed store, if I can talk DH into buying a chest freezer, which we could really use anyhow).

Any suggestions or opinions?

Pat

Last edited: Jan 23, 2008
  2. Standard Hen

Standard Hen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2007
    Massachusetts
    Hi Pat,
    I have one Speckled Sussex and she is like my favorite chicken( very pretty) and the most vocal. I would love to get some more. The eggs are on the smaller side and a creamy color. Everyone always ask me what kind of chicken she is because she sooooo stands out. I had got her from a breeder that hatched some purchased eggs.
    This spring I would love to add a couple Brahmas, Buff Orpintons, and EE's. I had BO's at one time and they were very nice chickens. I want more EE's for those colorful eggs!
    I have never had campines or chanteclers,,,of course I love my BR's!! OHHHH,,, and a few Jersey Giants woulld be nice,,,,,with the price of feed I must be crazy.

3. chickbea

chickbea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2007
    Vermont
    Everyone knows I am a big fan of Australorps. They aren't as fancy as some birds (although I think they are gorgeous), but they are sweet and they lay and lay and lay!
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by