How does this sound?

Game Bird Guy

Chirping
8 Years
Jul 22, 2011
Victoria
I am designing some new breeding pens for my Chukars. They are 3.5 ft by 2 ft by 2 ft tall. What do you think? Does anyone know about breeding Barbarys and Hungarians and their cage sizes? I will be getting the latter 2 in the fall, but have the Chukars now. I am breeding them in pairs. All replies welcome, positive or negative. Thanks. Kramer

I used to keep partridge on the ground in aviaries that varied in size from 8x8x6 to 8x16x8 and 8x24x8 (yeah, 8' is a common theme - I'm no carpenter and the less cuts for me, the better) - depending on species and aviary mates (i.e. doves, hookbills, etc.). This allows room to add natural surroundings (rocks for the males to get on top of and crow, shrubs for nesting under, etc.) inside the aviary and get the birds to behave in manner as they would in the wild. The dimensions you gave sound more like a crammed-forced-breeding operation that will lead to problems. Unless the birds are tame and you take them out for enrichment, I wouldn't keep them in those cages.

Dan

I used to keep partridge on the ground in aviaries that varied in size from 8x8x6 to 8x16x8 and 8x24x8 (yeah, 8' is a common theme - I'm no carpenter and the less cuts for me, the better) - depending on species and aviary mates (i.e. doves, hookbills, etc.). This allows room to add natural surroundings (rocks for the males to get on top of and crow, shrubs for nesting under, etc.) inside the aviary and get the birds to behave in manner as they would in the wild. The dimensions you gave sound more like a crammed-forced-breeding operation that will lead to problems. Unless the birds are tame and you take them out for enrichment, I wouldn't keep them in those cages.

Dan

Back
Top Bottom