How early can I take them out to play?

Iluveggers

Crossing the Road
Jun 27, 2021
NYS
I picked up my new babies yesterday. Today they are between 2 & 4 days old. Tomorrow it is supposed to be 80. Can I take them outside for 15 minutes on a field trip to my yard? They’ll be gated in about a 6 ft square area with me sitting with them the whole time. I thought they would like it, they are so friendly & curious! If yes, should I put grit out after? If no, when can I try this with them?
Thank you! Trying very hard to be a good chicken mama. ❤️

I have babies too! They’re curretly 2-3 days old.

I think taking the babies outside at this age is a personal choice. Some people say they might pick up disease etc, but personally I believe in having them on soil as soon as possible so they can get dirty and develop a robust immune system. lol

I leave mine out for hours at a time on a nice sunny day. I make sure the pen (a plastic crate) has both sun and shade so they don’t overheat or chill. I ensure the water is shallow enough that they can’t drown in it :)

The weather’s in the 80s, but as long as their enclosure has a sunny spot, they can soak up enough rays to stay amply warm.

I don’t see an issue with having then out for just 15 minutes. grit is always a good idea as chicks like to ingest all kind of things.

I have babies too! They’re curretly 2-3 days old.

I think taking the babies outside at this age is a personal choice. Some people say they might pick up disease etc, but personally I believe in having them on soil as soon as possible so they can get dirty and develop a robust immune system. lol

I leave mine out for hours at a time on a nice sunny day. I make sure the pen (a plastic crate) has both sun and shade so they don’t overheat or chill. I ensure the water is shallow enough that they can’t drown in it :)

The weather’s in the 80s, but as long as their enclosure has a sunny spot, they can soak up enough rays to stay amply warm.

I don’t see an issue with having then out for just 15 minutes. grit is always a good idea as chicks like to ingest all kind of things.
Do you have a pic of the crate they will be in? More importantly do you have a pic of your babies? 😂

Do you have a pic of the crate they will be in? More importantly do you have a pic of your babies? 😂
it's one of those plastic milk crates, I only have two babies right now so it's big enough, haha. You would probably want something a lot larger. I have a much larger pen, but they are so tiny, they’re able to squeeze through the gaps...

I’ll take a photo of them tomorrow!

edit: I found a photo of my last brood :) i think they were around 4 days old in this one.

They were broody chicks, so I put them outside in the pen, and let momma handle the rest :)

0D54F2B1-8301-44F5-96CD-D37C24ED43B4.jpeg

Last edited:
it's one of those plastic milk crates, I only have two babies right now so it's big enough, haha. You would probably want something a lot larger. I have a much larger pen, but they are so tiny, they’re able to squeeze through the gaps...

I’ll take a photo of them tomorrow!

edit: I found a photo of my last brood :) i think they were around 4 days old in this one.

They were broody chicks, so I put them outside in the pen, and let momma handle the rest :)

View attachment 2771686
Thank you! They look so sweet? Do you know what breed?

Thank you! They look so sweet? Do you know what breed?
don’t they all look so cute at that age! Those were Delaware's, I gave them away a few weeks back :)

The current ones I have are mystery bantam cochin crosses, they’re feathering sooo slowly compared with the LF breeds. They looked like some kind of pengun when they hatched 😂

Attachments

• F0797993-4458-43E7-BA23-94EC542A7809.jpeg
    F0797993-4458-43E7-BA23-94EC542A7809.jpeg
    352.8 KB · Views: 1
You can take them out any time just make sure conditions are suitable and they are monitored if they are with mom they can get by just fine I have taken incubated chicks out since day one and they have grown well with no light bulb or broader just sun and shade

You can take them out any time just make sure conditions are suitable and they are monitored if they are with mom they can get by just fine I have taken incubated chicks out since day one and they have grown well with no light bulb or broader just sun and shade
Thank you!

don’t they all look so cute at that age! Those were Delaware's, I gave them away a few weeks back :)

The current ones I have are mystery bantam cochin crosses, they’re feathering sooo slowly compared with the LF breeds. They looked like some kind of pengun when they hatched 😂
Omg is that one SLEEPING in your hand? Mine let me pick them up but are a little nervous still. Definitely not relaxed enough to sleep on me! 😂

Omg is that one SLEEPING in your hand? Mine let me pick them up but are a little nervous still. Definitely not relaxed enough to sleep on me! 😂
It just hatched, so it was super tired and very wobbly on its feet. She just kind of flopped instead of bothering to stand, lol. They do sleep in my hand if I’m willing to hold them long enough. you can try cupping two chicks in your hand for a while, some will give up trying to escape and fall asleep in the warmth of your hands. It’s best to hold them a lot at this age if you want them to want to be held when they grow up, they won’t like it at first, but eventually they will end up accepting it as part of the norm. I didn’t force my first brood to be held and now while friendly, they’re certainly not too happy whenever I pick them up :’)

this is a bantam i bought off a craigslist lady. I was shocked at how well they tolerated handling! She said her kids handled them a lot since hatch, and I guess they just got used to it😂

no panic at all, not even a peep...
7D3186B3-E146-455F-B913-266A924EE876.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom