How early can they go outside?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by BLaBauve, Jun 28, 2010.

1. BLaBauve

BLaBauve Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2009
    Georgia
    I've been raising a few chicks in GA. This summer has really been hot. My brooder is in the garage and keeps them at 90 degrees due to the temperature outside. They are are almost 3 weeks old now - do you think they can go outside here? They only have wing feathers, but it doesn't drop below 70-75 degrees at night.

Thanks!

2. IcarusSomnio

IcarusSomnio Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2010
    Vernon County, MO
    I put my chicks out (roughly 2.5-3wks) with the bigger chicks (more 4-5 weeks) in my chicken tractor. I only had one loss because of a bantam Cochin hen, she decided to get mean and gave a chick a HARD peck on the head when I was feeding. I put her out but found the chick had passed later on. [​IMG]

Other than that, no issues what so ever. Chicks do fine, they have a little box with straw and bedding to sleep in. The bantam sleeps with them at night (she gets kicked out in the morning), she doesn't bother 'em then. Just when I feed, for whatever reason.

3. crazy chook

crazy chook Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2010
    Langwarrin, Victoria
    Quote:If its warm outside then Yes, definitely put them outside. They will love it and 70-75 if fine for 3 week olds,

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by