how early do the combs on RIR become red if they are boys?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by aran, May 20, 2007.

1. aran

aran Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2007
    rochester ny
    So another sexing q sorry guys. My 3 remaining RIR chicks are doing great. 2 of them have the same feather colouring and are the same size. The 3rd has much paler coloured feathers ( esp on his? back and neck and chest) and his/her comb is now ( just in the last 4-5 days) become considerably larger and redder than the other 2. I did order 3 pullets and 1 roo but we lost one chick shortly after they arrived. What do you guys think, is it about time for the comb/wattle (i dont know which one is which to be honest) to start colouring up if he is a roo?

2. eggchel

eggchel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Dec 26, 2006
    Both Coasts
    Really sounds like a cockerel.

chel

3. Southern28Chick

Southern28Chick Flew The Coop

Apr 16, 2007
    My RIR are 3 weeks old and I can tell now that Sgt Major Bok Bok is a roo. We ordered them from Ideal and when we got them they had colored his face green with a marker to indicate who the male was. So I also know he was a roo but now a 3 weeks old his comb is bigger and not redder yet but pinker. His wattles are also growing fast and are bright red. The 5 RIR girls barely have wattles and combs.

Oh, another way to tell is the roo tail feathers grow slower than the girls'. My girls (all my girls, 4 different breeds) have long pretty little tail feathers. Bok Bok has a short stubby tail.

Hope this helps.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by