How early do you let your chickens out?

Quote:
Naaaa, you're being the nice one. We NEVER let ours out until 10 A.M. We want to be sure the neighbors are all awake, had their morning coffee, and hopefully distracted by something other than our rooster's crowing continuously for the rest of the day.

Quote:
This is the way we do it too. Although on the weekends and when hubby forgets, it's sometimes 10:00 am before they get let out. They don't really seem to care too much. They have a big run and are frequently let out into our yard all day long (only if I'm home, of course).

Ours are out as soon as they start fussing, which is around 5-5:30. Best thing is that I've trained DBF to let them out!

We live in the city/suburbs so I'm nervous that they boking chickens will awaken the neighbors. The neighbors said that they have 2 teens, so nothing wakes them up any more (that might explain why her son missed 42 days of school... but that's another thread). I just want to make sure I'm on their good side.

We have an auto pop hole door opener which goes up at sunrise, about 5am. They are in their run from then onwards, and I usually go out to let them out on free range (within their fenced area) by about 8am. If I go off to work (I'm on maternity leave now though, as of last Friday), they're back in their run between 9.45am and 6pm, when they get let out again for more ranging until about 8pm.

They can definitely tell the time - if I'm late letting them out of their run in the morning (ie if it gets to ten past eight and I haven't arrived), our bluebelle stands at the end door making a hell of a racket! They're only a nuisance if they are in that run longer than they expect to be - they completely shut up if I do their bidding and let them out on time! They're in charge in this household!
gig.gif

So where do you get a pop-hole door opener and how much do they cost? We like to sleep in on the weekends and it sure would be nice if we didn't have to open the door for the flock.
tongue.png

I get up around 5 AM and the first thing I do if it is light out is deliver some food and let them out. I pick the feeders up at night and set them out before opening the door to avoid being mobbed too badly. I also check the fences and wire for signs of digging or damage.

Correction: first I start the coffee brewing...

The girlies are going out at varied times.

When I'm working, I leave at 5:15 am. I don't let them out. If it's a school day, my mother will allow my son to let them out at 8:00, just before they head down for the bus. It's about the same time for weekends, and it's either my husband or son who lets them out.

On my days off, I'm usually up around 6. They go out after I've had my coffee and early morning BYC time.

We've had them less than a month, and so far they've been quiet. I haven't heard any demanding to go out ruckus.

They've also been putting themselves to bed at 8:15 pm. Usually it's me who goes out to lock them up. If it's not a school night my son locks them up. And, he has to give each girlie a good night kiss
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom