How early is too early to put my chicks outside?

I have 5 week old chicks. 3 Barred Rock and 3 Rhode Island Red. The weather here is at about 80 degrees during the day and 60 degrees at night. Can I put them outside full time yet?

As long as they are feathered, they can regulate their own body heat. Prior to that, they can't. I would not free range chicks, they would be easy prey for cats and other predators.

If ten-week olds have never met the adult flock, it's best to introduce them gradually so all may get acquainted. To toss them cold-turkey into the fray is to invite a gang-bang. They are strangers to the flock, therefore a threat, especially since they're nearly grown. If these ten-week olds have already been seen by the flock and vice-versa, by all means put them together.

Chicks are entirely capable of observing the adults, even thirty-four of them, and and they learn which temperaments pose a threat and should be watched and which ones are benign and can be ignored. You will do your chicks a big favor by letting them have a safe pen from which to adjust to the flock before being subjected to the pecking order.

By the way, next time you wish to add chicks, it's much easier on them to brood them in proximity to the adult flock and to introduce them while they are still just a couple weeks old and therefore pose no threat to the adults. I realize common wisdom dictates you wait until new additions are the same size, but I've found that common wisdom isn't always wise and there are much better ways of doing things.
Thank you for your reply.

They have been kept in a brooder cage in the coop within the sight of the whole flock since I got them. I feel better about putting them in GP now.

I have 5 week old chicks. 3 Barred Rock and 3 Rhode Island Red. The weather here is at about 80 degrees during the day and 60 degrees at night. Can I put them outside full time yet?

My 3 week old chicks free range all day.No problems at all.Baby chicks are smart.There was a little bit of pecking from the adults but now they are fine.I would free range them if they get along they will be much happier.

Back
Top Bottom