How easy is it to fool a silkie?

gritsar

Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!
14 Years
Nov 9, 2007
SW Arkansas
My silkie Jethro sat for two weeks before I was able to give her fertile eggs. Then she sat for the 21 days, but had a bad hatch; something happened to the eggs in shipping. Only one chick hatched and it died. I took the rest of the eggs away from her and put them in the bator, just in case.

I have more eggs coming for Jethro but she appears to be getting restless. If she does break on her own, how hard would it be to convince her to sit again? Would a nice pile of eggs do it? My other idea - should she break - is to go ahead and hatch the chicks in the bator and give them to her at night. She took right to store bought eggs after a bad hatch last time (we were out of town and my DSD gave her the wrong eggs). With that clutch she only had one hatch and I gave her three store bought chicks to go with the singleton.

Her sister silkie, Ellie Mae, has never gone broody but does help Jethro with the raising, so perhaps between the two of them I can get chicks taken care of?

So how hard can it be to fool a silkie?

Quote:
Thanks
smile.png
I was convinced Jethro was a rooster, right up until the day she laid her first egg.
roll.png

Back
Top Bottom