How exactly, do you tie a dead chicken to the dog who killed it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had to laugh,,, I had heard this for years and wayyyyyy back when I was in high school my grandfather's dog killed my grandmother's favorite little white chicken. She decided to do this tying the chicken around the neck bit of hooey. Well after a day in the New Mexico sun that was one nasty, smelly chicken hanging on a rather large dog.
My grandmother went shopping the next day, came home, walked through the gate and the dog jumped all over her to welcome her home. I just about killed myself trying to get away,, first because of the ugly sight and horrible mess, second because I was laughing so hard I had to pee and my grandmother smelled worse and looked worse than the chicken did at that time!
This doesn't work folks, the dog doesn't understand and the dog see you as one cruel stupid human. When you mistreat a dog like this and he stops trusting you because he sees it as the abuse it is, you end up getting bitten and the dog ends up paying with his life usually.
Good fencing, good collars, good management, works much better than cruelty.

My 2c for what its worth.

I don't think there is any dog smart enough to know that the dead chicken hanging around its neck is punishment for killing the chicken three days ago or whatever time period.
You have a limited amount of time to "correct" the dog, from the time it does something wrong.

You can't correct a dog 15 minutes AFTER it has pooped on your carpet and expect it to KNOW why its been corrected - same thing with the chicken killing, you have to make that "correction" within like 1 minute or WHILE iN the act for it to make ANY difference at all.

my dog just broke through the fence this morning and had my duck in it's mouth. i was screaming and cursing if that ducks dead you're going straight to the pound. the duck was fine, actually. i have heard of people doing it, the tying to the neck. if it were to work, well, i'd say go for it. i'm just not sure it does.

i think the point that dogs roll around in gross stuff anyway is well taken. lol. do they really know that is punishment as horrible as it is?

if my chihuhua killed something, let's a say a rabbit, i think her response would be........oh, yeah, now i've got the rabit pellet gumball machine right here where i can just get them for free.

i just woke up a little while ago and now i feel like the doughnut guy in the commercials..........time to mend the fence.

Ok...so we won't be tying the dead chicken to the dog. I tried the shock collar. It worked great on my lab mix, but this dog knows when she doesn't have the collar on. I have hot wire all around the outside of my chicken run so she can't dig them out or try ti get them thru the fence anymore. This hen just snuck out the one spot that didn't have the bird netting (over the tree). I will be fixing that today. I have plans to move the coop and run to a much larger area that will not have a tree in the run and I will be able to set up a hugh tent of bird netting. I keep hoping one of the mules will kick her in the head and put her out of MY misery, but they like her now. They play tag in the pasture with her!

I agree that a dog will not know why there is a stinky, but tintalating dead chicken around it's neck.

I have a labrador and he was raised knowing that the chickens were off limits. He will look longingly at them and walk slowly behind them if they get out of my garden, but he knows they are off limits.

Some dogs are pretty smart about learning "no" and some need to be trained as if they were in a pack so a good slap upside the head and kick in the butt might work better for them. It depends on what they feel their position in your pack is.

I am not condoning severe beatings or animal abuse......

Jean

This method is gross but works very very well, my brother uses twine and ties it around the dogs neck, leaves it there for about 3 days, dogs never go near a chicken again.

This sounds like something they would do around here
roll.png
and reminds me of the man I once rented from. He fed the dead chickens out of his commercial houses to his dogs (and mine if she was around). I once asked him how the dogs were s'pose to know the difference between being okay to eat a dead one and not okay to eat a live one, he said they just did....yeah right!
We've had great luck with using the remote controlled collar to break Jake from barking non-stop, but he also knows when he's wearing the collar and when he's not. If you leave it on them for too long the batteries run down quickly. Now he gets the most dejected look on his face when he sees the collar coming, but for the most part behaves without it.
I think a collar like ours would work to train them and I may be finding out this spring when we get our chickens.
I had to laugh about mulemom hoping a mule would kick the dog in the head. Jake got kicked so bad by a cow as a pup that it dislocated his shoulder. Just made him want to chase em more!

In general, punishment is not effective at changing behavior unless the punisher is present. Behaviors are safe when the Electric Shock Collar is off, but dangerous when the Electric Shock Collar is on. It's not just dogs. How many of us have ever gotten a speeding ticket? How many of you still speed? When do you slow down? When you see a cop car, right?

Also, anyone who thinks electric shock does not hurt should try it on themselves. The electric collar is a tool, it can be used or misused, but truly understand what you are doing to your dog when you make the choice.

Dogs are predators. If a dog has a strong instinct to kill birds, it is unlikely we can punish that instinct out of it. What kind of wolf would give up hunting because it got kicked by a caribou a couple times? This type of behavior is usually dealt with best by good management. Usually, this means fencing and supervision. I also train my dogs to pay attention to me and respond to basic obedience commands around chickens. Any of my dogs can do a heeling pattern and down stay among my chickens, but I would still never leave them unattended together.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom