How fancy is too fancy? Upholstered Roosts.

At least there feet will be warm and comfy. I think it's a good idea for a temporary solutions. I think you are on the right path. Keep creating you will find something perfect soon enough. If you have some long sturdy branches they work wonders. Even if you have saplings around you can cut them down if they aren't needed in the landscape.

I don't know why I didn't think of the brush pile to find roosts. I guess the weather is so durn cold and damp right now, my brain just doesn't connect with what is "out there". Come spring, those fancy roost poles will most likely be history. I am not the best at keeping things spotless in the coop, so fabric is going to have to be a passing fad.

Two by fours laid flat are very popular here at BYC because they're cheap but mostly because the three and a half inch width ensures that the chickens can get their entire foot covered with feathers for warmth. Logs around the same size are even cheaper, and if you can rip them down, no heavier than a 2x4.

In my "big girl" half of the coop, I used old barn loft ladders laid flat and nailed from wall to wall. It works great, but I ran out of ladders. So that is why I am having to be creative in putting roosts in the "grow out" half of the coop.

Back
Top Bottom