How far from edge of coop to perch??

jeaucamom

Songster
12 Years
Oct 1, 2007
Ophir, CA
Finally got the coop from garage to outdoors on pvc pipe and now I have to finish the inside before the paneling goes up. But how far from the edge of the coop to the perch??? We are using 1x3 for perches. And the way I was putting them in doesn't look like very much room, so I thought I would check with all the experts
big_smile.png
There is about 6 -7 inches from wall to front of 1x3. Thanks everyone, Suz

You will probably want to go 9 - 12 inches depending on the breed. It gives them enough room to hop up and turn around. 6 -7 is a little to close.

On the same subject, what about relative to a window?

I'm building a coop/shed and there are 2 locations where I have provided for a poop box which would be located under prospective ladder-style perches. One is closer to a window than the other, but that one is on the front of the coop which will be WAY easier to access for cleaning.

Does it matter if the roosts are below a window, from the perspective of cold creeping through? The window will be double-pane.

Quote:
Greg,

Our 2 x 4 roosts are level with our windows. I used some left-over clear greenhouse plastic so I can close the windows at night and have them open during the day.

Closed...

Open...

I have the ventilation area done in the same way.

Hope this helps!

Dawn

Back
Top Bottom