How far should Quail be kept from chickens?

Bornacentury2L8

Songster
10 Years
Mar 10, 2009
Cartersville, Ga.
I want to pick up some Pharoh chicks this weekend,
celebrate.gif
and will keep them indoors through the winter, but when I move them outside how far away is safe?

Well if up in a pen i wouldn't worry to much about exposure to chickens, all my bobwhite type quail including mearns are regularly visited by our chickens, however the quail pens are up about 3 ft off the ground.. Never had any troubles with anything in over 6+ years... Its basically ground contact for the quail that can cause problems if contaminated by chicken droppings..

With that said i do have the bottom parts of the quail pens blocked/fenced so the chickens cant get underneath there pens as well, don't want them milling under there in the quail poo or possibly jumping up to peck the quail feet or freaking them out..

Last edited:
One must be very careful when bring new birds in, isolation must be maintained to be sure your not bring infected birds home to start with..

birds under heavy stressful condition can easily come down with many things as well, they loose there natural ability to fight infection..

If a bird survives coryza once they have it, they will always be carriers of it, one must be careful when purchasing these birds as symptoms maybe not be visible until its to late....

some folks learn the hard way..
coryza info
http://www.poultryhub.org/index.php?title=Infectious_coryza&redirect=no

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom