How far will a chicken go?

R20

In the Brooder
Jun 3, 2022
We’re about 700’ off the road on 60 acres. Some wooded areas, some coastal Bermuda hay field.
Coop is near the house.
Question: typically, how far will a free range chicken flock of 5 wonder?, we’re about to let our new flock out of the run for the first time since we rehomed them a week ago.

We are about the same distance from the road and my chickens don’t go anywhere near it. Our house is on one of the farm fields of about 60 acres as well and their coop is about 200’ behind the house. They hang out in the front yard occasionally but typically stay within 4-5 acres around the back and side yard.

Thanks. We also have a mini Australian Shepherd. I fear she will try to herd them.

typically, how far will a free range chicken flock of 5 wonder?
It depends on the personality of the chickens. Some are more adventurous than others. The terrain also can affect them. Natural boundaries can help keep them contained. But see my first comment. The boundary between a hay field and a mowed area or eaten down pasture might stop them, but sometimes they like to forage in that hay field. Fence rows may attract them since they give shelter from flying predators, shade, and often good places to scratch.

When you first let them out expect them to hang pretty close to what they know. Over time they may become more adventurous. Each year my flock is different. Most years they seldom travel more than 250 to 300 feet from the coop. One year I had a clique of three hens that would roam over 400 feet while the rest of the flock stayed pretty close. Another year I had a flock where the rooster would lead them all over 700 feet away. You never know for sure. Good luck!

It depends on how often you let them out, the more you let them out, the farther they will go.

But as Ridgerunner says - it does depend on the chickens, and especially the rooster. Some roosters will go much farther.

Generally speaking mine do not go real far from my coop, less than an acre do they explore.

Back
Top Bottom