how far will chickens roam from their house

As far as they deem safe. Mine stay in sight of the house or what they think is their house (the human house) and almost never venture into the woods where the preds come from and try to eat them at night. They also will go down the drive way, but never to the mail box since they know better not to play chicken with the cars on the highway. However, I bet they'd go for thousands of feet if they felt safe. So the inconclusive answer i have is that they will go as far as they deem safe.

Before we fenced in our yard (3/4 acre) they would cross the street and head diagonally to the neighbor who fed birds in her front lawn. They'd clean up the spillage under the feeder. They came home every night. When I get new birds I keep them in the pen for a few days until they know where home is.

I was watching my teenagers an hour ago and was amazed where they were foraging. We have 10 acres, mostly wooded, and they spend most of their time in the woods near their coop. They do wander to the South, between their coop and our house, but mainly stay behind their coop to the West! We have a very large fenced-in duck and geese area (100' x 50') North of their coop. My teenagers were on the OTHER side of the duck area, climbing on a tall pile of pallets, an hour ago!

Like someone else said, once the chickens get use to an area, they'll start to wander farther away. My other large chickens, 29 weeks old, have wandered almost 1/4 from their coop! I have three of them: Leghorn Roo, Australorp pullet, and BO pullet.

Also, I gave all my chickens scratch this morning. Apparently that wasn't enough to keep the teenagers closer to their coop! We do have a lot of area to explore, so I can't blame them for being curious.

They do go to the coop at night. The teenagers and three older chickens roost together. It is fun to watch the procession! In the morning they can't wait for me to open the gate!

My Bantams are not free-ranged. In the morning they literally run and fly out of their coop when I open their door! It's so funny!

Welcome to BYC! Have fun!!

~Anne

I don't know about a chicken's instinct keeping them real close to home. In Southeast Asia, pretty much their ancestral home, they can be found 1/2 mile from their roost/farm/village.

Mine stay close to their coop but they aren't out every day, all day.

Steve

Our barred rock pullets get a lot of mileage. We live on 4 acres. Do they head through the large meadow toward the woods? They do not. They typically try to head across the state highway. Fortunately, most of our neighbors know the proper direction in which to shoo them.

I have 5 on 16acres. They travel more and more and they get comfortable. 250 feet is a lot of area (4.5acres) I'd say that is fairly accurate for mine. I'm sure the food has a lot to do with it.
There is one natural meat farm that I buy from. They have hundreds of chickens in hoop houses 200ft apart. They say there is rarely intermingling of the separate flocks. They rotate the food about the coops to prevent the grass from being devistated in one area.

Most hatcheries say Cochins don't rome far in their adds

(((maybe theres don't but mine do)))

I have 2acres & after the leaves fall off I have to pen mine up because mine travel alot further!

the 2 hens I have that are already laying are homebodies, one is an orpington, and one is a comet. the other 8 chickens are always on the lam. that said, they all come home at night and get in their coop. My ducklings also put themselves away, but my evil goose needs a good bit of exercise every night in order to stay safe.... (by that I mean that I chase the jerk around the house 20 times until i can wedge him against the fence and pick him up)

Chickensducksandagoose: I was told by an oldtimer to put a small dish of greens in the goose house It will be alot easier than chasing them around. I have done this since they came out of the brooder. I do the same for the ducks. They all wait for their treats and go right inside their houses. I usually give them romaine lettuce and some sort of frozen vegatable. They really love that. of course that means cutting a salad every night but i'd rather do that then chase them lol

Mine will go farther than 250' when they get nosey. Chickens are nosey like cats. Do agree that the breed makes a big difference as some don't walk more than 10' and are tired (bantam cochins) while others (standard games) will go as far as they can see.......

Back
Top Bottom