How far would you go to save a chicken?

Well, I would definitely chase away a fox or other predators that we have here, but I don't feel that would be much of a risk to me. We don't have bears as far as I know. I've chased away hawks, raccoons, lurking coyotes, and dogs. If there was a fire, I'd open the coop doors, and let chickens find their way out.
x2

How far would you go to save a chicken? Would you risk yourself in anyway?
I'm just wondering.

This can go for other animals, too.
- Clucky

P.S. > it would be great if you could share what you would do and if you have any real life experiences!!! Thanks!
No way I would intentionally risk my life to save a chicken.

But...when the county tried to burn us out I stayed and fought the fire thus saving not only the chickens but also the turkeys, guineas and my house.

Seriously, the county started a fire?
The county runs the dump. They have huge mounds of wood chippings. At least one of the mounds caught fire through spontaneous combustion. The employees claimed they put the fire out and went home. It was a very dry period with very high winds. The fire spread very rapidly. A lot of people lost their homes. They tried to evacuate everyone but I said no. The smoke was so thick you couldn't see through it other than a red glow in places.

To make it worse the next day they tried to set a backfire which also got out of control and burned more people out.

The county runs the dump. They have huge mounds of wood chippings. At least one of the mounds caught fire through spontaneous combustion. The employees claimed they put the fire out and went home. It was a very dry period with very high winds. The fire spread very rapidly. A lot of people lost their homes. They tried to evacuate everyone but I said no. The smoke was so thick you couldn't see through it other than a red glow in places.

To make it worse the next day they tried to set a backfire which also got out of control and burned more people out.
That sucks! How did you fight the flame? Regular garden hoses?

I would go pretty far to save my animals. Chickens, lizard, tortoises is all I have right now. How far, not real sure and hope I never have to find out.

That sucks! How did you fight the flame? Regular garden hoses?
Regular garden hose until the power went out and shut the pump off. Then I switched to a shovel. Fortunately the worst of the fire was on the north side of the road. I put out two incursions where the fire jumped the road right in front of me. During the worst of it the only way I could breathe was by spraying a mist of water in front of my face to disperse the smoke.

A fellow with a big front end loader cut a fire lane on the south side. Again fortunately the fire was blown to the south and burned my field back against the wind. I was able to go along with the shovel and put the fire out as it reached the fire lane. After everything calmed down, I went around to the neighbors and put out the last bits of fire. It is entirely possible that I may have saved a couple of houses by putting out encroaching flames. Meanwhile the fire fighters were all hanging out down at the mailboxes instead of doing any of the mop up.

It was really sad to watch them stand around and make no effort to save a house once it caught on fire. The neighbor across the road to the north of me had fire fighters watch his house burn when they could have stopped the fire at his garage instead of letting the whole house burn. They did make sure that they saved his trash can.

I saw muddy raccoon prints on my prefab coop (my first year of keeping/ a lot has changed) I called my mother immediately and got her live trap. Set it up that evening with old pizza as bait, In the morning as I was on my way to work, I saw him in the trap, BIG RACCOON. I called my mom, she came over and shot him (took 4 shots to the head) , 40lb Buck, she said it was the biggest raccoon she's seen. Glad I took action. I since built a sturdy, predator proof coop with attached run. I'm right outside the city so my predators are raccoons, fox, hawks, and coyotes, there are Bald Eagles that have been sighted recently. I have lots of cover for the girls, so I'm not that worried of arial attacks. There is a lot of human activity, so predators usually come out at night when my girls are locked up. EF4D860C-D59C-43F1-B0F4-026B81777FE0.jpg 87FB3496-B532-4201-A8AF-E83650E43CA4.jpg

I saw muddy raccoon prints on my prefab coop (my first year of keeping/ a lot has changed) I called my mother immediately and got her live trap. Set it up that evening with old pizza as bait, In the morning as I was on my way to work, I saw him in the trap, BIG RACCOON. I called my mom, she came over and shot him (took 4 shots to the head) , 40lb Buck, she said it was the biggest raccoon she's seen. Glad I took action. I since built a sturdy, predator proof coop with attached run. I'm right outside the city so my predators are raccoons, fox, hawks, and coyotes, there are Bald Eagles that have been sighted recently. I have lots of cover for the girls, so I'm not that worried of arial attacks. There is a lot of human activity, so predators usually come out at night when my girls are locked up.View attachment 2022424View attachment 2022425

Glad you saved your girls!

Back
Top Bottom