How flexible is the coop sq. footage per bird?

Quote:
That sounds like enough space to me. About 60 square feet inside? But I doubt the fact that there is no ramp will stop a fox. I would build a floor in the coop. Open up one or two bales of pine shavings and spread it out. It will stay dry and warm and you will only need to replace it twice a year. (deep litter method).
And another note...you might as well not even bother making 6 nesting boxes. With 5 hens they will probably only use 1 or 2 boxes. I have 16 hens and 8 nest boxes. They only use 3, sometimes 4 if it was a busy day. lol.
My chickens are kinda lazy. They like ramps. Seems the most they want to do is flap their wings to help them hop up about 18 inches. My chickens do not fly.

Quote:
That sounds like enough space to me. About 60 square feet inside? But I doubt the fact that there is no ramp will stop a fox. I would build a floor in the coop. Open up one or two bales of pine shavings and spread it out. It will stay dry and warm and you will only need to replace it twice a year. (deep litter method).
And another note...you might as well not even bother making 6 nesting boxes. With 5 hens they will probably only use 1 or 2 boxes. I have 16 hens and 8 nest boxes. They only use 3, sometimes 4 if it was a busy day. lol.
My chickens are kinda lazy. They like ramps. Seems the most they want to do is flap their wings to help them hop up about 18 inches. My chickens do not fly.

Agree on the nesting boxes. 5 hens don't need more than 2 nesting boxes.

so, i think i will shorten the henhouse to save on costs best i can by removing three of the nesting boxes
the new dimensions will be 94" by 62" with three nesting boxes that are same dimensions
will have to look into the deep manure system or whatever it was, sounds like it may be a better idea, but may cost more and may be a little more work(depending on how often i would be changing the newspaper out in the winter) but on the other hand will likely be more insulating for the birds in the winter

now another question is i am planning on making a 6'x8' garden box on the roof to help insulate and maximize space, if i add some skylights in a couple of spots then that should let lots of light in during the winter and during the summer, the vegetation growing will help to shade the skylights a bit
PLUS i absolutely plan on having a blanket hanging over the nest box entrance and the door so nest boxes should be dark enough for em:)
anyone willing to help out, thx a lot!

and sorry for the thread jack man, was on the FAQ list so i figured it'd be nice to keep the newbie questions in a smaller area, rather than scattering them throughout the site

Quote:
1) If you are going to grow something on the roof, you will need so much damp soil that you must MUST make sure to engineer the coop structure appropriately, it will have to be A LOT more stronger (bigger lumber, closer spacing) than for a normal roof. Also be aware you will need to water the thing probably-daily. Oh and make sure you have a couple layers of good waterproofing membrane, since leaks into the coop would not be good.

2) A green roof does not insulate. It does keep a large building cooler in the summer, not due to insulation so much as due to evaporative cooling from the damp soil and plants. However this is not relevant for a SMALL well-ventilated building like a coop. And soil has very poor insulating abilities, so green roofs do not provide much of any insulation against winter cold. If you jsut want insulation for wintertime you'd be FAR better off simply installing insulation.

Not saying don't do it; just saying it is a pretty serious engineering project and not going to have the thermal benefits you think.

if i add some skylights in a couple of spots then that should let lots of light in during the winter and during the summer, the vegetation growing will help to shade the skylights a bit

OMG, trying to put skylights thru a green roof (especially of a small casually-built structure) will be a nightmare. It will leak quite badly (remember you're going to be watering the roof daily and it will be holding water -- not at all comparable to regular roof skylights, which STILL tend to leak sooner or later). I would very strongly suggest not even trying it.

PLUS i absolutely plan on having a blanket hanging over the nest box entrance and the door so nest boxes should be dark enough for em:)

I totally wouldn't worry about that. Very few people do it, and the hens don't mind. They are not cave dwellers LOL Curtains are just one more thing to catch dust and for mites to hide in.

and sorry for the thread jack man, was on the FAQ list so i figured it'd be nice to keep the newbie questions in a smaller area, rather than scattering them throughout the site

The problem is, when you add to the very end of a long thread of someone else's, practically nobody reads thru to the end before replying and practically nobody looks at the date of the original post to detect that it's old. So you don't end up getting many people answering your question, what you usually end up with is a lot of answers to something someone asked a year or two ago
tongue.png

Start new threads. Really really
smile.png

Good luck, have fun,

Pat​

Ole Rooster, hey I'm with ya....tried following the original question and it ended up out in left field. Too funny....but good fun none the less. Good luck to all ya chicken lovers.
Erik

Back
Top Bottom