1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How forceful should I be?

Discussion in 'Geese' started by Country Parson, Apr 14, 2012.

1. Country Parson

Country Parson Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2010
    Bellefontaine, OH
    I have a pilgrim gander that is guarding two females on nests. While he has always been rather I'll-tempered, he is quite vicious now. In the past I have always stood up to him and made him back down (e.g. Grabbed his neck, hissed back at him, held him down, etc...whatever non-harmful tactic that I could use to make him back off and establish me as "head goose" ).

They are in a large run (16x75), but are a nightmare to feed and water. Should I still "show him who is boss", or is I asking too much of his natural instincts for protection?

2. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    It may be setting your sites too high to expect him to really stand down during nesting season. I'm lucky that my hand raised Pilgrim Gander doesn't go after me, but my swans do. I carry a large stick to block advances, which might work better with swans than geese considering that swans tend to hit you with the wing. I also don't bother putting the food next to the nest, The females really should get up off the nest anyhow to keep up their muscle strength. Would it help to keep the the food near the entrance of the enclosure to minimize contact?

3. I've also put my kiddie pools so the kids can fill them from the outside of the fence with the hose . . . I agree -- all my ganders are just grumpy, and I have one that is a menace. I've heard though that the first breeding season is the worst, and they calm down some in following years.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by