How Frustrating! - Niacin

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by MrsKemmerlin, Jul 5, 2011.

1. MrsKemmerlin

MrsKemmerlin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2011
    Round O, SC
    I have been everywhere - Walmart, CVS, Walgreens, GNC, Tractor Supply - And no one has niacin OR brewer's yeast! [​IMG] Suggestions anyone on where I can get some!? Reasonably priced, because at the rate I'm going I'm going to have to order it from somewhere! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 5, 2011
  2. bt03

bt03 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2011
    Over the rainbow...
    If you are using the Save-A-Chick and the finisher from TSC that is formulated for ducks to then you shouldn't need extra niacin. Mine only needed the extra niacin when we got them because they were on a feed formulated for broiler chicks and not ducks. I only gave it to them for about 2 days and they were fine when I switched their feed and water and we haven't had any problems at all for the last 4 weeks. Hope that helps [​IMG]

3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    The only place we found brewers yeast in our small town was our 1 natrual food store, 1lb can for like 12.00 or buy it on line. I have used Purina Flock raiser on all my ducks goose and chickens and never had any legs problems but when our duckling hatched and mama rejected it I was worried she might not be getting the nician since my flock free ranges and mama knows where all the good stuff is, so I have been putting it in her feed.

4. dumb_cluck

dumb_cluck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2010
    Upstate NY
    Do you have an Agway near? Ask for game bird starter. It is in a 50lb bag. Contains all the niacin etc for raising ducks. Good luck!

5. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    Brewer's yeast: grocery store in the bulk bins. It's a bit spendy. Might be labeled "nutritional yeast"

I buy niacin tablets for $1.95 at the Grocery Outlet. The non-flush is hard to find, but when you find it, it should be really cheap.

6. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:Hey Oregon Blues that really surprised me to see theres a Grocery Outlet out your way, we have them over in Western N.C. too. Great place to buy Bryers Ice cream [​IMG] sorry this has nothing to do with nician. [​IMG]

7. The Duck ABC's

The Duck ABC's Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2011
    Walmart does not carry the right kind of niacin. Albertsons and Safeway do! Looks like you were hitting up the wrong stores.

8. tomingreeneco

tomingreeneco Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2010
    Greene County, PA
  9. Senna95

Senna95 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2010
    Woodland
    I'm lucky that we have a store nearby that sells feed concentrates. They sell 50 pound bags of Brewer's yeast for $44. However, in order to get enough niacin you'd have to add about 6 bags per ton (2000 lbs) of food. I'm currently working with a local mill to mill my own recipe (but I have to buy 2 tons at a time: that's 80 bags!). What I did for the niacin: I went to the local pharmacy store and bought niacin tablets (also called vitamin B-3. You may have to look under the B vitamins. Most pharmacy stores carry it).

10. mestaske

mestaske Out Of The Brooder

Feb 14, 2011
    Southern Colorado
    A food Cooperative would have it most likely(where I bought mine), vitamin cottage

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by