How good of an Ameracauna is mine?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Otisspunkmeyer, Sep 30, 2012.

1. Otisspunkmeyer

Otisspunkmeyer Out Of The Brooder

Jul 23, 2012
    Bend, OR
    So, about 6 months ago I bought a month old hen said to be an Ameracauna from a breeder that mainly deals with polish crested chickens and some wellsummers. I figured it was a mix, but the more she grows and the more I study the breed standard for her, the more I think she might be a good quality Ameracauna. So I figured I would enlist the help of some pro chicken helpers to see what I have. She hasn't layed yet, so no egg color(breed standard is light blue)
    I won't be offended if my chicken is inferior quality, because she is one of my friendliest and I intend to keep/breed her to raise some more of her chicks.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    What standard color do you think she is?

3. chickenlover89

chickenlover89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2012
    she is an EE, sorry.

4. Otisspunkmeyer

Otisspunkmeyer Out Of The Brooder

Jul 23, 2012
    Bend, OR
    That's cool, i get confused with the name of the colorings, so I was mainly going off wattle size, comb type, leg color and shape of the bird/tail shape.
    I'm new to breeder quality chickens, but I'm learning a lot as I go. Like I said, he is a polish guy, and I love the polish I got from him.

5. mustangsaguaro

mustangsaguaro Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    San Martin, Ca
    EE X2. She doesn't fit any of the standard colors. Your standard accepted colors are black, white, buff, blue, silver, wheaten, blue wheaten, brown red.

6. normanack

normanack Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2012
    Michigan, USA
    That is a beautiful chicken. I would love her if she were mine.

7. sevenbabychicks

sevenbabychicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2010
    Saint Paul, MN
    Yeah, to be a "true" ameraucana, they have to conform to only a handful of color possibilities. Here's a handy chart that I've seen tossed around this forum:

http://www.ameraucana.org/scrapbook.html

I
    n my opinion, I prefer the the weird, random, and beautiful colors of EEs. You never know what you're going to get! I have four 3 week-olds right now and their colors seem to change daily. Yours is a beauty [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by