How hard can it really be?? Rant!

Sounds like my last vacation lol

My neighbor has 4 kids and they love the chickens, so I asked if she would like to have the kids watch the chickens for 10 days. The kids are younger so I assumed that she would be with them to make sure they did things correctly. Nope.

Same thing, auto door, auto feeder, large auto waterer. Feed was empty, chickens were pecking at the empty bin, no water, etc.

Same frustrations. Watching chickens is not that difficult. Just go and make sure they have water and food, let them out as needed. No brainer.

No, you are not out of line to expect someone to do something so basic.
Yeah, I would have assumed the parent would help also but I find that to be more rare these days. When my older kids, now 26 & 27 yes old parents would have at least checked in to see things were being done properly if not going every day. But with my youngest, 10 yrs old, parents are much different in holding kids accountable and teaching them to be accountable and do things the right way. It's honestly hard to watch. And I swear the other parents look at me sideways since I still parent the same as I did the older ones. Lord forbid I've taught my kid "the look" which I'm guessing some of you on here know the one I'm talking about😂😂
Everybody is so kind with their replys. Not me, I would march right up to her door (guns blazing) just kidding, and demand an explanation, then report her to the vet school. Also post her work ethic on the same board so no one else gets suckered.
I try to be gracious and kind. Maybe I've just caught them at a bad time. It's the end of the school year and she is graduating. Exams, licensing tests, finishing up school stuff, or whatever else may have unexpectedly came up could have just overwhelmed her and she was embarrassed to say nor wanted to leave me with no care. If my chickens were suffering greatly or unrepairable damage was done I may have considered saying something. But the rooster was brought in and out, the chickens seem to be recovering ok and hubs can fix the door.

I am hopeful this was a one off. If someone reaches out to me about my experience I would not lie, but I do not feel the need to put that negativity out there.

You all have been so validating of my feelings of frustration and I am grateful for that. Most people don't understand my love for my chickens, but you all do💜

I do believe most people around here see chickens as "livestock". I get some really crazy looks when I talk about how much I love my chickens. And the shocked looks I get when they hear I bring my rooster inside and cuddle with him at night😂😂 even my vet rolls her eyes and my friends make fun of me. Whatevs...lol
Your not alone on that… I have 10 Roos all come in at night and all have cuddles before being boxed… I like to think this is what makes the difference from them being “aggressive” or “friendly” none of them seem to mind the snuggles before bed either and they all look after the yard and the flock as a collective…even if they are all big mummy sooks lol 😂

I'm so upset. I went on vacation to visit my daughter who I've not seen since she moved last summer. I was gone 9 days. Boarded dogs and found a chicken sitter. Bonus! She is a 4th year vet student! Great! Or so I thought.

We have cameras, which I informed her of their locations.

Her jobs:
-Check and fill food dishes
-Check and fill water buckets
-Toss some treats in the compost pile in the mornings.
-Bring (friendly) rooster inside at night and back outside in the morning.
-Check one chicken's crop at night and adjust crop bra if needed.

Her compensation was an average of 10+ eggs daily and her requested $10/day.

We have an automatic coop door we open and close with our app so nights were on her own schedule and mornings I asked her to come between 8 and 9:30 am.

We knew something was off when we saw the rooster come out with the girls on the second morning when we opened the pop door. Messaged her and found out she locked a hen inside.

We could see the water bucket getting light and we never saw her open the feed cans (replay on camera) so we asked our son to check on them. Water inside coop was almost empty and water bucket in run was empty. This is where they stay from roosting time to 7:30 am so.... And the water bucket in the fenced run (which we saw swinging) was nearly empty. Food bowl down to dust. No water in the rooster's cage. So son fed and watered and would go back again to get a better look in the daytime.

He went back again to find the coop door nearly broken and he topped off the food and water.

And the entire week her average morning arrival time was 10 am.

We heard her and a friend laughing one night when she was there to put the rooster up.

This afternoon I came home to the broken coop door (which she still has yet to inform me of) nesting box door half off and not locked, water bucket in run empty, food bowl almost down to dust, one chicken sneezing with nasal discharge, another with a mostly closed eye, crop bra disheveled and some weird looking poops throughout the fenced in run among other small things.

Am I wrong to be so upset? Did I expect too much for too small compensation? This is my first time having a chicken sitter. We checked in on her periodically and she said always said everything was good so....I did pay her because she did at least get the rooster in and out for us.

Anyways, I'll be posting about my girl's closed eye next. I'm not sure what happened.
I would be PISSED. Sorry, but it's not rocket science. She was irresponsible. What if your son hadn't been there for backup? You wound up having injured chickens and could have lost chickens due to her irresponsible behavior. I mean seriously??? I would not ever recommend her and Id ask her for an explanation.
What kind of vet will she be if she doesn't take animals in her care seriously???

I'm so upset. I went on vacation to visit my daughter who I've not seen since she moved last summer. I was gone 9 days. Boarded dogs and found a chicken sitter. Bonus! She is a 4th year vet student! Great! Or so I thought.

Her jobs:

We have an automatic coop door we open and close with our app so nights were on her own schedule and mornings I asked her to come between 8 and 9:30 am.

We knew something was off when we saw the rooster come out with the girls on the second morning when we opened the pop door. Messaged her and found out she locked a hen inside.

We could see the water bucket getting light and we never saw her open the feed cans (replay on camera) so we asked our son to check on them. Water inside coop was almost empty and water bucket in run was empty. This is where they stay from roosting time to 7:30 am so.... And the water bucket in the fenced run (which we saw swinging) was nearly empty. Food bowl down to dust. No water in the rooster's cage. So son fed and watered and would go back again to get a better look in the daytime.

He went back again to find the coop door nearly broken and he topped off the food and water.

We heard her and a friend laughing one night when she was there to put the rooster up.

This afternoon I came home to the broken coop door (which she still has yet to inform me of) nesting box door half off and not locked, water bucket in run empty, food bowl almost down to dust, one chicken sneezing with nasal discharge, another with a mostly closed eye, crop bra disheveled and some weird looking poops throughout the fenced in run among other small things.

Am I wrong to be so upset? Did I expect too much for too small compensation? This is my first time having a chicken sitter. We checked in on her periodically and she said always said everything was good so....I did pay her because she did at least get the rooster in and out for us.

Anyways, I'll be posting about my girl's closed eye next. I'm not sure what happened.
I would paid
her maybe half. And would've freaked out

Work ethics of today aren't the same as they were as little as 40-50 year ago. What % of college age students have ever had a job of any kind . My guess would be < 1% .

Obtaining references has never been more important and i see no mention of actual on the job references .
Agreed I can tell you I am under 21 and I have had a job for 2 years working with the city and odds and end job but half 2/3 of my friends have never worked a day in there life. However i pay my sitter 12 dollars a vist and I have 4 dogs, 13 chickens, 5 cats and a guinea pig plus a fish tank

You should leave a review etc..what if someone else has the same experience. And she is probably one of those idiots that think oh..I love animals so I will be a vet. However said individual does not know the hard work involved with some animals and is lazy. It takes me close to an hour in the morning with the multiple chicken ages I have... I have grown ups, teens, and chicks. I can't imagine a lazy person handling this. Animals aren't a pretty thing to pet or put on a shelf, they're a responsibility. Anyone who has been consistent about potty training a dog knows the responsibility In that as well. You have a right to be mad...she will not be a good vet..period.

So sorry

Her jobs:

So sorry for your disappointment. Is she young and immature perhaps? Hopefully you can work it out, especially if she's planning to become a vet.

Her jobs:

I would be furious and she would get no pay! None!!! No eggs and why is my coop door broken? Nesting box door coming off? No food, no water??? WTH???!!!

Her jobs:

That's horrible!!!! I would be livid! I wish I lived closer to you! I would take care of them like my own. Ive been lucky enough that I have family to take care of my ladies and roo.

Back
Top Bottom