how hard is it to chock a chicken

cary 1973

Songster
7 Years
Apr 17, 2012
Henderson Nevada aka Las Vegas
So reading up on treats I have read corn and raisens stuff like that I have been scared to feed mine in fear of them chocking to death. They only get cream corn soft peas ans I cut every thing else up real fine am I being peranoid

The only time I had chickens choke was when they tried to swallow a long piece of grass, so I break it into smaller pieces for them. Chicks and bigger chickens can swallow really big things when they feel like it, but it's best to be a bit paranoid and stick to small things for now.

Yes, yes your are. Lol, it doesn't matter! I'm new to goats and they are on a strict only browse diet.

Raisains- fine. Corn- unless its REALLY REALLY hard, they will LOVE it!!!! I have a turkey who eats dry chicken food from the bucket (so he aint bullied awayed) and you can SEE the lump of food travel his throat. From his sound he makes you'd THINK hes choking but he keeps eating and is still alive! Choking a chicken is hard Because
If its HARD enough to choke it, it usually cant swallow it
If it can swallow it, it prolly cant choke them (think seeds)
Honestly, feeding them yogurt would cause more of a problem then rasains. (No no! Yogurt is good! Not badmouthing yogurt!)
They can get it in their nostils, then per-say, 'breath' it.
If it gets them on their back, what if the other chickens get rambactious, and pick out the feathers as they eat the yogurt?

The only reason I said this is cause to prove to you, while these things CAN happen, they are unlikely! A chicken has a crop, so the food is ground up after passing through the throat, and if need be, a chicken can regurtitate.

One of my chickens swallowed a fair sized frog whole. It was fine. I don't think they choke very easily.

OK, when I first read the "title" about choking a chicken, I was thinking the worst---how to "kill it" and I was thinking, wait a minute, these are people who LOVE their chickens--right?! I had to read more to make sure I was reading that wrong. Didn't know chickens could or would choke. On to the next article!

One of my chickens swallowed a fair sized frog whole. It was fine. I don't think they choke very easily.

A frog?! The only time I had a chicken choke is when one was sick and she couldn't drink water on her own and I would have to give her water through an eyedropper. And also one time when my chicken tried to swallow a bread crust whole because her sister was trying to steal it from her.

OK, when I first read the "title" about choking a chicken, I was thinking the worst---how to "kill it" and I was thinking, wait a minute, these are people who LOVE their chickens--right?! I had to read more to make sure I was reading that wrong. Didn't know chickens could or would choke. On to the next article!

x2, I was like it is so mean to choke a chicken! If you need to butcher it look up how!
tongue.png

I saw a hen choke and regurgitate a piece of glass in an old chicken yard.
Careful where you keep your ladies.
big_smile.png

There is all this glass where my chickens live and when ever I find some I clean it up but it is endless, like there was a glass dump or something. My chickens will never eat anything that they shouldn't so I don't really worry.

Back
Top Bottom