How hard is it to wake a chicken

tricid

Songster
10 Years
Dec 8, 2011
N. Texas
That probably sounds like a goofy question.

I did my last chicken patrol around 9pm and spotted a silkie laying in the middle of the run rather than being in the coop with the others. Seemed a bit weird so I brought it inside to inspect. While I had it inside I figured I'd trim around its eyes a bit and it never really seemed to wake up. Acts nearly brain dead/asleep/lethargic. It opened its eyes a couple times, couple other times it gave a really weak kick but just kinda lays there otherwise.

No visible injuries, was still located within a secure pen so it didn't escape or anything, nothing got it. They were all running around as of 6-7pm or so acting fine, I was out there giving them a bit of scratch around then.

I know chickens go in to a bit of a stupor at night, is it normal for them to just stay that way even if disturbed or do I have a problem here?

I'd consider giving fluids and observe in morning for a problem.

NONE of my birds (over 10 years of experience keeping an average of 20 birds at all times, renewing constantly to keep a "fresh" flock of layers) go into a full stupor at night. They don't see well in the dark, so they get confused, but when picked up, most of mine startle an squawk because a "predator" just got them. Some are more vocal than others. A few, very few, "freeze" once held, but are fully awake, and immediately run off when put in coop or run.

So I'd say something happened to your Silkie. They are very vulnerable to head injury. Also, I see you are in Texas. Is it scorching hot there? She may be extremely dehydrated. She shouldn't be that lethargic. Even a pet would wake and arouse.

LofMc

I was kind of thinking the same/was a bit afraid of that. My others stir a bit if I go near their coop with a flashlight at any time of night. Was hoping maybe silkies just 'shut down' more or something.

It is stupidly hot here this year. They have a misting system they've learned to make great use of though. Something I've found kind of fascinating on its own. And it was ok just a couple/few hours prior, well past the hottest part of the day.

I have it inside in my chicken daycare overnight so it has air conditioning and peace.

Should I disturb it more to try to give it some water/electrolytes or let it chill and rest over night and try that in the morning you think?

- using "it" because I haven't been able to sex it yet. It's my favorite though :(

I'd be tempted to syringe some electrolytes into it. With crazy hot, my gut tells me you have some heat exhaustion going on.

Silkies don't go into a stupor more, but they are more sensitive to harsh elements.

Get some fluids in it, let it rest in the cool, keep syringing tomorrow. Hopefully it will revive well.

LofMc

Well if it wasn't already spoiled rotten it will be after this if it survives. It is now couch TV lap chicken with occasional droppers of water.

Took a bit of a risk, saw some poop in its feathers so I cleaned it up a bit with some luke warm water thinking there might be a vent problem but everything seems ok there. With what little I know anyway.

But it is kinda fighting me more, opening its eyes more. So that's encouraging. I think you're right.

So I'm still (trying to) nurse this little guy back to health. I guess some minor updates and more questions incoming.

I'm pretty sure what happened was he got his foot stuck, likely thrashed around for hours Friday night. Once I thought about where and how I found him I remembered he did have a leg/foot kinda "hugging" something out there. At the time I didn't think much of it, thought it just kinda flopped down there, but I think it might have been stuck. So my assumption right now is it probably has an injured leg/foot on top of just wearing itself out in the heat thrashing about trying to get loose. I see no visible signs of injury, but it sure doesn't seem to want to do any walking. It is standing more upright at times today though. Muscle injury/pain maybe?

I can't dismiss the head injury suggestion either though, I'm just making assumptions. It is capable of balancing itself, though a bit clumsily. Once I mess with it and its eyes open, it seems alert, aware, just lethargic. If I really annoy it, it starts making noises, bwawks, those adorable growls chickens can do and so on while looking at me all "can you please leave me t f alone".

Going back to today, it's still not looking great, but not worse either. It's capable of a good fight when I mess with it more than it likes, but otherwise it just sits or lays there doing nothing all day, all night. I haven't caught it eating or drinking on its own since earlier Friday.

I was getting little bits of food and water in it yesterday but today I decided to switch to/try tube feeding. That actually went very well, and a few minutes after his first feeding he had more fight/energy than I've seen out of him since I found him Fri night. That was....intimidating. But once I did it it became a lot less so. If anyone noob like me is reading this, don't be scared of doing this. Cautious yes, but it wasn't bad at all.

Late yesterday it pooped, in case that's relevant. It has been since I've had him inside in chicken daycare. Not often. And usually by the time I see it, its mixed in with some bedding or was while I was giving it a soak in the tub so I didn't get a good view of what it looked like.

So my questions for the experts now:

(I'm putting their chick starter feed through a blender with water, until its a thin pancake batter like consistency. It is a 4.5 month old silkie)

How many ml do you think I should try to give at once, and how often? I'm an absolute noob to all of this, but doing my best. I don't have the best 'feel' for crops yet. I don't know what his healthy weight was, I didn't think to check that early on. The first and only feeding so far was 10ml of this mix. Random google result. I trust you guys more.

Should I add any vitamins to this mix? Since its their food they live on mixed up I'm assuming its getting all the nutrients it needs, but I can add something extra to it if that'd help. I just don't know what or how much.

Should I separately do water, and if so how much and how often? The mix I'm using is very thin. I didn't want to have a clog while the tube was down its neck. I'm not sure if that's enough liquid to sustain him through this though.

With my story, and long dang messages (sorry), any mixed opinions on what the issue even is? I'm assuming parasites, diseases, viruses, bacteria and so on he wouldn't have just dropped so fast, and I'd see issues with the rest of my flock. No clue if that's a good assumption.

Also I just saw/remembered you suggested syringe food/water yesterday. To clarify, I did not realize that might imply 'tube feeding'. I was using a syringe to very carefully get tiny bits of water kind of on its beak and he was slurping it in a bit. Later reading made me aware of how risky that was and taught me what tube/syringe feeding is.

K so this little guy is still hanging on, but I'm still questioning everything.

If a chicken is injured, say its leg, will it refuse to eat just because its injured?

Any obvious signs of irrecoverable brain damage to look out for?

He's still alive, more or less the same. I feel like he's a bit stronger at fighting me but that could be my imagination. He's capable of standing there, kind of holding his balance but a bit wobbly. Seems alert best I can tell. Has no interest in walking forward, eating or drinking though.

Back
Top Bottom