How high can babies jump/fly?

AnKa

In the Brooder
10 Years
Feb 27, 2009
One of my Araucana babies seems to be a bit flighty. She flew out of my 14" tall brooder cage - right through the hatch.
I had planned on moving them to a rubber maid with no lid. Is that a bad idea? If your brooder doesn't have a lid, how tall are the sides and how old are your babies?

My 4 week old Ameraucanas can fly out of an 18" cardboard box. I've put a screen over them and don't have any problems. I have a 12 week old Pekin who flies out of a 2.5' high dog kennel. I think I may have to put some card board over her. You may want to put a screen over your rubber maid just to be on the safe side.

Sonja

I have 2 week old ameraucanas that can fly up 18".... amazing how much they've feathered out in just 2 weeks.

My 5 week old EE' s can fly 2-3 feet. I let them run in the kitchen every evening when I clean the brooder and they love to fly up and perch on the doggie gates!!!

Mine (3wks) are flying/jumping too. They are in water trough sides are about 2ft tall. I got a baby gate across the top of mine so we can still see them without chicks flying out.

Mine (3wks) are flying/jumping too. They are in water trough sides are about 2ft tall. I got a baby gate across the top of mine so we can still see them without chicks flying out.

1/2" hardware cloth works great over the top of a Rubbermaid tote. You can form it around the edges so it sits on there fairly tight. My tote has the latching pieces that you lift up from the sides to clip over the lid. I have a hardware cloth top and the latching pieces go right over it like a normal lid so the top stays on securely. Plus you never need to worry about the hardware cloth catching fire from the lamp being on or near it.

I think we're going to put chicken wire on top of our brooder today. Some of the Araucanas are flying pretty hign and they're only 10 days old.

I received my chicks on the 27th and they are now taking flights across the brooder, flying at about 12"-16" above the floor. The brooder is a cardboard lined metal dog kennel that is 32" tall and 36" in length. The viewing window was about 12" from the floor and one of my Orps recently landed on the edge of the window. I added another section so that it is now 16" from the ground.

Brooders without a top or screen make me really nervous, but that is me especially after hearing about the cat in the brooder story. I also have two very curious dogs and two cats in the house with the chicks so I can't afford any chances.

My 4 week olds have been flying around since I got them. Because of the set-up of the brooder I just let them go, they can't fly out on 3 sides and the 4th side is a good 24" or so deep. Putting a couple roosts in for them has cut down on flightiness a tinge.

Back
Top Bottom