How high can heavies be expected to jump/fly?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by debid, Jan 20, 2011.

1. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    I'm designing my coop layout and want to mount the next boxes inside the coop and up high enough that the floor space underneath them is usable. I'm planning on having a 1x4 in front of the boxes to land on but wasn't sure if I'd need to install a ladder if that was up, say, 24" from the floor? Most of the flock will be medium but I want a couple of Sussex and Marans in the mix and certainly don't want any eggs on the floor!

2. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    For whatever it's worth (one lone data point [​IMG]) my sussexes' nestboxes are maybe 2' above the ground and they were not so happy about using them til I put a little short ladder up to them. (It is literally the end cut off an elderly wooden ladder).

Caveat: it is possible that the problem was not so much the height per se as not wanting to flap up and have to land in the opening atop the 3/4" plywood used as a front lip on the boxes, so it is POSSIBLE I could have equally well fixed it by putting a piece of 2x4 a few inches out in front of the nestboxes for them to use as a landing/departure perch. It was just structurally easier in my setup to do the ladder, so I never tried the other method but would not be surprised if it'd have worked as well.

I guess it's a judgement call which way to try it initially, and I am not sure which way I'd go in your shoes (maybe lean towards ladder if these are not-yet-laying pullets, just so's not to encourage bad habits?) but I am also not sure it makes a huge difference as long as you keep an eye on how it goes and adapt accordingly [​IMG]

JME, good luck, have fun,

Pat

3. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Quote:Here's my boxs. There working fine.[​IMG]3768_p7250090.jpg[/img] Here's some more boxs in my new coop.[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 20, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by