1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How high can ladder be?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by MeadowBrookFarm, Jul 9, 2011.

1. MeadowBrookFarm

MeadowBrookFarm Out Of The Brooder

Jul 9, 2011
    We are converting a stall in our horse barn into a chicken coop. There is a small window (about 1.5 feet square) about five feet from the ground. I was wondering if that was too high to use as a pophole. If we built a ramp up to it and then down on the outside, would that work? Thank you in advance.

2. spike844

spike844 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 11, 2010
    Virginia beach, VA
    I don't think it would be a problem to build a ramp that high. You might just have to try it out and see if it works.

-Noah

3. ryanhodapp

ryanhodapp Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    St. Louis
    I think it will work great.

4. Capvin

Capvin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    Lake Placid, FL
    My coop is elevated off the ground and the pop hole is about five feet high. The chicks never had a problem going up but initially would not walk down but would just fly down to the ground. Now that they are a bit older they navigate it up and down with no problem. Just be sure to give them something for their feet to grip about every 12 inches

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by