How high can they jump?

jak2002003

Crowing
13 Years
Oct 24, 2009
Thailand
I am thinking about getting an adult or juvenile pair of peafowl.

The garden is surrounded by walls and fences that are all over 5 feet tall... There are some areas that trees grow near the wall.. but most of the branches start above fence height.. and lower branches are very steep and almost straight up vertical. There are no low things for the birds to jump up onto and get onto the top of the wall.

I willto clip their wings and release them into the garden.

How high can they jump from the group up? The fences are topped with barbed wire and one fence is iron railings... this is to keep the cows and water buffalo off out.. which used to just push through the old fencing.

I currently have bantam chickens, guinea fowl, ducks, and a golden pheasant (amongst other birds).. They all free range all day (Guinea and pheasant 24 / 7) and they can not get out of the garden.... even the chickens are not wing clipped.

Do you think the peafowl will be contained? I don't want them getting out as there are lots of feral dogs about that would kill them. When my guinea fowl chicks grew up I did clip their wings for the first few months.. and a few times one would fly over the wall and was too stupid to understand how to get back in... and I lost 2 to dogs. Now they are clipped they have not got out since.

Also diet.... can if feed the peafowl a general flock pelleted food... Its designed for adult chickens and ducks.. not for fattening up! As the peafowl would be free range all the time.. they would be able to find insects and stuff in the garden.. which is a large mango orchard. I also feed my birds vegetables and some seeds as treats.

I see you are in Thailand where so many people raise green peafowl, do you want to get green or India blue peafowl?

Green birds will jump the fence easily even if their wings are clipped. India blue can jump up to 4 or 5 feet, and you have some trees close to your fence which mean there is a big chance for them to jump the fence. I have seen someone here raising them in a pen with 6.5 or 7 feet tall fence, they can't jump it.

I am thinking about getting an adult or juvenile pair of peafowl.

The garden is surrounded by walls and fences that are all over 5 feet tall... There are some areas that trees grow near the wall.. but most of the branches start above fence height.. and lower branches are very steep and almost straight up vertical. There are no low things for the birds to jump up onto and get onto the top of the wall.

I willto clip their wings and release them into the garden.

How high can they jump from the group up? The fences are topped with barbed wire and one fence is iron railings... this is to keep the cows and water buffalo off out.. which used to just push through the old fencing.

I currently have bantam chickens, guinea fowl, ducks, and a golden pheasant (amongst other birds).. They all free range all day (Guinea and pheasant 24 / 7) and they can not get out of the garden.... even the chickens are not wing clipped.

Do you think the peafowl will be contained? I don't want them getting out as there are lots of feral dogs about that would kill them. When my guinea fowl chicks grew up I did clip their wings for the first few months.. and a few times one would fly over the wall and was too stupid to understand how to get back in... and I lost 2 to dogs. Now they are clipped they have not got out since.

Also diet.... can if feed the peafowl a general flock pelleted food... Its designed for adult chickens and ducks.. not for fattening up! As the peafowl would be free range all the time.. they would be able to find insects and stuff in the garden.. which is a large mango orchard. I also feed my birds vegetables and some seeds as treats.

I see you are in Thailand where so many people raise green peafowl, do you want to get green or India blue peafowl?

Green birds will jump the fence easily even if their wings are clipped. India blue can jump up to 4 or 5 feet, and you have some trees close to your fence which mean there is a big chance for them to jump the fence. I have seen someone here raising them in a pen with 6.5 or 7 feet tall fence, they can't jump it.

The net over our outdoor pen is 7-8' high, while trying to net my 2 yr. old Purple BS Peid, he pulled the net out of my hands and jumped. This was a fishing net and his wings were inside it, but even so, he jumped straight up and bounced off that overhead netting, not using his wings. I think it depends on how much they want to get away or over an obstacle. I would be very concerned about them jumping into the barbed wire and getting hooked. that could seriously injure or kill them.

Mine jump on my roof all the time from the deck, not using wings. So if they wanted to jump your fence, they would and could. I have a 4 1/2 ft fence, there are one or two that stay in it, but most hop over and explore. I would be afraid clipping wings would disable them and the wild dogs could then get them easily. :(

Back
Top Bottom