1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

how high do your andalusians fly?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by kinnip, Aug 4, 2008.

1. kinnip

kinnip Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2008
    Carrollton, GA
    I just caught one outside the fence and another about to make her escape. I have a five foot fence. My hope was that they would grow large enough that they couldn't get over. They're only 10 weeks old. Will I need a taller fence?

2. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    They are known for being a 'flighty' breed.

Having said that, I have 3 blue andalusians and while they CAN fly over the fence in my yard where I let them free roam in the evenings, they haven't yet...

Many breeds of chickens, even full grown, can get up to the top of a 5' fence and then jump over the other side.

I have my main run covered with PVC Pipes and deer netting to keep them in - you may want to consider something like that. Look at my webcam below and you can see my run from the inside. The white arcs going over are the PVC pipe and there is deer netting from Lowes conneted over them with cable ties.

3. herechickchick

herechickchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    Memphis TN
    My girl flew over the house once (not the chicken house, my single story house.). I kept her wing clipped but she could still fly pretty well.

4. kinnip

kinnip Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2008
    Carrollton, GA
    I just sent DBF to buy some welded wire, so we can make this thing higher. I hope it works! There's a huge shade tree over the top of the run, so covering it isn't a good option. I wonder if I let them range would they lose interest in escaping at inopportune times. Ahh, wishful thinking.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by