How high does my fence need to be?

Jeff Cooper

Chirping
Apr 6, 2021
My chicken yard currently has a 4 ft chicken wire fence. Two out of ten hens can fly over it even with one wing trimmed.
If I extend the fence to 6 ft should that stop them from flying over it? 8 ft?
How high or do I need a top over the whole yard?
This is my first experience with a fence for my chickens.

I’d say 6ft should be good, but my chickens weren’t very flighty at all and still aren’t

It depends on your chicken breeds. Their size can affect flying ability - heavier chickens can't get as much "lift". My fencing is 6' but my good fliers can easily go over that! My Buff Orpington isn't much of a flier and roosts on the lower roost about 3.5 feet off the ground and that's about her maximum.

Does your fence have a firm rail at the top?

As a general rule, chickens don't fly up and over a fence, they fly up to the top of it and then down. Sometimes a thin string that doesn't serve as a good perch is all that's necessary to stop the escapes.
Not true. I had 5' wire fence and my dang production Red flew straight over it........ then taught the other Red and one of the Wydonette (sp) too 🤬
I had to hang something across the entry (5 feet across), I think it was a curtain attached to 2 poles. Their wings were clipped too but that one was really good !

Anyway, Try adding some taller posts and running fishing line or white string across it every 4" high till you hit 6'... cheap and easy to see if it will work.

Funny that darn Red never was able to get into the railing of the deck that flanked the back yard and was about 5'8" tall... she wanted too though ;)

Back
Top Bottom