how high for roosting poles?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kdavis228, May 20, 2011.

1. kdavis228

kdavis228 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2011
    mississippi
    How high should my first roosting pole b for my 2 month old chicks. And if there not using them is it a good idea to place them there so they will get used to them?

2. LadyFunnyFarm

LadyFunnyFarm Out Of The Brooder

While I know that they like to roost in the brooder, we don't have any in ours and when I integrated 8 into the big girl coop tonight, I placed them on the roost and had no problems. 1 jumped down, but I just picked her up and put her back and she stayed, no problem. My point is that, while I know they can roost, and probably like it, it's not entirely necessary. Chicken instincts seem to take over when necessary, lol.

Good luck with your babes!

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Roosting is instinctive behavior, so even if they don't have roosts in the brooder they'll know what they are for when they do get some in the coop. They may not use them the very first night, but they will figure it out.
    You can do a foot off the ground for babies and go up from there. Yes, 8 week old chicks can go that high. I have 6 week old ones roosting with the adults, 4 1/2 ft. off the ground. Mama taught them.

Adut chickens like to go as high as possible to roost, but there has to be some reason on height. My younger flock are lighter weight birds, I let them roost 6 ft. off the ground if they want. They'll fly down.

My older flock is LF brahmas, big birds. I kept their roosts as low as possible so they wouldn't injure themselves jumping down (LF brahmas rarely fly). Still, one hen managed to sprain a leg jumping down off the roost.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by