How high is too high?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by supermom, Sep 21, 2008.

1. supermom

supermom Out Of The Brooder

Sep 10, 2008
    How much space do I need to have between the roosting poles and the top of the coop? I have 3 BR chicks, 1 BO and 1 polish.

2. Ricks Chicks

Ricks Chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

enough for them to get on and sit. my high one that they like best is about a foot clearence.

3. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady Premium Member

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    I just went out and measured mine so I could give you the accurate height that I used.
    The least amount of room I have in one of my tractors is 18" from roost to ceiling. But that is for my short Araucanas.
    The Barnevelders I made 2' and they often just stay on the floor. I have wondered if they wanted more head room. They are big chickens.
    I have my Jersey Giants in a large coop at night since I couldn't make a tractor big enough for those whoppers. Their roost now is 4' from the ceiling.

4. La Banan

La Banan Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2008
    My highest roost gives them about two feet clearance above them but I've seen them squished happily into the space where the roof meets the walls with no space above at all. Who knows what lurks in the hearts of chickens?
    Jan la Banan

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by