How high off the ground should the chicken house be?

I have a hen house that sits about 16" off the ground. The chickens used to go under it for shade and I didn't want to have to start searching for eggs under there so I blocked the access. I ran a skirt of chicken wire all around that had about 10 inches extra on the ground. I lined the excess on the ground with bricks so none of them would go back under the hen house. This has been in place for about 2 months and has worked so far.

Mine is elevated 2' but that's because it's a 4x8. I can easily reach anything I need to underneath. I wouldn't elevate a 10x10 except to put it on a level foundation of blocks.

And I agree with everyone who said it needs to be stabilized for everyone's safety.

I'd lower it to ground level & use the cement blocks to keep it level. A coop that size, if a sick or hurt chicken went under it you wouldn't be able to get to them. Use a hardware cloth apron to keep any chickens or predators from getting underneath it.

My coop is 10x16, with the first 4 or 5 feet blocked off so I have room for supplies. Their run is off the back, about 10x18. I don't let them under the coop, they have plenty of room.

Back
Top Bottom