How high to put hardware cloth on run

Mom2LotsOBoys

Chirping
Feb 4, 2023
Shenandoah Valley
Hi all!

I have a large old fenced garden that has 5’ high posts with about 4-4.5’ high latticework in between them. I’m converting half of this to be a chicken run and was wondering both how high to run the hardware cloth and whether it should go inside or outside the lattice.

We live in VA and have dogs around frequently as well as my kids, so we don’t get too many animals around during the day, but I know we have occasional bears, fox, raccoons, and other pesty predators around.

So with that in mind, do I do one wrap of hardware cloth with an apron, or do a second, higher one?

Thanks!

Thanks! And is that kind of fence high enough for most chickens? I’ve had large animals before but poultry is new to me.
To keep them in? Mostly. Larger birds probably bacly won't be able to fly. Some can. My Sebright rooster can clear the house, and both my Spitzhauben and Leghorn can fly quite well. But you can trim one wing to keep them contained, or, if the area isn't huge, you may get be able to cover it with aviary netting. Netting will help protect from hawks, too.

Hi all!

I have a large old fenced garden that has 5’ high posts with about 4-4.5’ high latticework in between them. I’m converting half of this to be a chicken run and was wondering both how high to run the hardware cloth and whether it should go inside or outside the lattice.

We live in VA and have dogs around frequently as well as my kids, so we don’t get too many animals around during the day, but I know we have occasional bears, fox, raccoons, and other pesty predators around.

So with that in mind, do I do one wrap of hardware cloth with an apron, or do a second, higher one?

Thanks!
I would consider covering the top as well, with something. Racoons can climb and lattice would make a good ladder for them. Also, if you have hawks, they can pick them off.

Last edited:
I have hardware cloth as a skirt around the run and 4-feet up. To me, the rest is a matter of keeping chickens in and hawks out - I can do this with something more cost effective. I went to 4-feet because it is my understanding weasels cannot climb well and 4-feet is a good height to keep them out.

Welcome to BYC. Are you in the hot part of VA or the cooler mountains?

If you put your general location into your profile it will be easy to reference so that people can give better-targeted advice.

The wire always goes on the outside of the posts so that when a larger predator pushes against it the post resists the pressure instead of the staples, etc. :)

but I know we have occasional bears, fox, raccoons, and other pesty predators around.

If bears are in your predator lineup as anything other than a theoretical possibility, only strong electric will keep them out (though they are often more likely to go for the feed than the birds).

I have hardware cloth as a skirt around the run and 4-feet up. To me, the rest is a matter of keeping chickens in and hawks out - I can do this with something more cost effective. I went to 4-feet because it is my understanding weasels cannot climb well and 4-feet is a good height to keep them out.
Not sure where you heard weasels don't climb well. They climb as well as a squirrel.

Asthetically speaking I'd do the wire inside the lattice but I say that because if you're not covering the top it's not predator proof no matter how high you go with the wire, inside or outside. Since my top is open, making my run not at all predator proof, I don't go to all of that extra effort. So it really depends on your objective for daytime. Are you going for totally predator proof or just something to keep them confined? I have a game cam and I watched a racoon climb up and over my 6ft. chain link with no problem (chickens locked in coop at night of course.) Hardware cloth would not have changed this. They can climb hardware cloth the same as lattice or chain link.

Back
Top Bottom