1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How hot is to hot?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by houseofclucks, Apr 23, 2007.

1. houseofclucks

houseofclucks Out Of The Brooder

Apr 15, 2007
    Massachusetts
    We had a nice few days here in New England after all that rain that came through last week which brings me to my question....My coop is located in a area in my yard that gets the direct sun for a few hours during the heat of the day. A do have alot of trees but the sun hits the roof directly from 1:00 to around 3:30 or so. It was 87 in my backyard and I don't know how hot it was in the upper part of the coop. It's not even summer yet and the chickens were panting pretty good and holding their wings open a bit. All they have to do is go down to the run underneath and hang out by the water but they do not seem to want to. I'm sure it's cooler down there. SO....how much heat is to much? I can remember as a kid chicken coops were not the coolest places to be, but I'm concerned. There are vents at both ends of the upper coop area, but it still gets pretty warm. Thanks for any comments!

2. tewks1

tewks1 New Egg

Apr 21, 2007
    Use house fan. Most farmers have fans running. Here in NJ the fans are on once it gets around 70 or so. Also depends on how many chickens are coped up together.

3. imaflightyone

imaflightyone New Egg

Apr 23, 2007
    will it cause them to slow laying if they get to hot?

4. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

It might, but I don't remember whether Obelisk laid all during the summer...getting old, YK...[​IMG]
    I use fans during the winter and I'd fill up a kiddie pool for Slifer to dip her feet into when it was really brutal.
    Both Penny and Obelisk were panting this weekend because it was so warm...

5. Critter Crazy

Critter Crazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2007
    Binghamton, NY
    If it gets too hot outside, the chickens go and hide under trees. The coop even in the sun, still stays pretty cool, as long as your coop has proper ventillation, it should stay pretty cool.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by