how hot is to hot...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by shakecc, Jul 16, 2008.

1. shakecc

shakecc In the Brooder

May 26, 2008
    Central OH
    I have 4 week old chicks that have been living in my air conditioned house with a heat lamp. One nicer days I have been putting on our shaded porch outside with their l lamp on. We have had mild weather,low to mid 80s. I put them out on the portch today (in the shade) it is probably about 90-92 here today. When I went out to check on them I noticed 2 of the 7 are panting. Should I leave them out there or bring them in. I know the heat lamp with keep them warm, but I also worry about the sudden change in temp of bringing them back in the air conditioning.

What should I do?

2. pax12

pax12 Songster

Feb 7, 2008
    PA
    take the heat lamp off

3. shakecc

shakecc In the Brooder

May 26, 2008
    Central OH
    Sorry, I was not very clear...I don't have the heat lamp on them today since it was so warm. Only before on the cooler days.

4. fullhouse

fullhouse Songster

Apr 14, 2008
    MI
    I would leave them out in the shade, just make sure they have water. At 4 weeks they are pretty hardy.

5. Four week old chicks should be fully feathered, and most people put them outside full-time. They shouldn't need a heat lamp at all at this point. The qualifier would be, if you continue to keep them in an air conditioned house, i would keep the lamp on when they are in there, but up away from the top of the brooder, and allow a lot of room for them to get away from the heat.

Do you have a pen and coop ready for them outside? What breed are they?

6. shakecc

shakecc In the Brooder

May 26, 2008
    Central OH
    Our coop is almost done...a couple of finishing touches that we should get done tonight so they will most likely be going out tomorrow. I was planning on keep a heat lamp out there, but it sounds as though we may not need one?

There are
    2 Buff Orbs
    2 Light Brahmas
    2 Barred Rocks
    1 Black Sex Link

Thanks!

7. Recently a member here said she put covered containers of ice with her overheated chicks and that some of them climbed aboard to cool down...seems like a good idea.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: