How hot is too hot for a rabbit? over 100 degress here......

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by LindsayB, Jun 6, 2011.

1. LindsayB

LindsayB Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    Cypress, Texas
    Its almost 3:00 here and 101 degrees outside. Our rabbit lives in a hutch on our shaded back porch but I noticed alittle bit ago he was panting and his mouth and nose were wet. I just brought him inside and have a temporary house made up in our bathtub [​IMG] I did this yesterday too because I was so afraid of him having a heat stroke. Alittle history on him...He is almost a year and doesn't have any ears (his mom ate them off when he was a baby). I posted some pictures on here right after I got him. I've tried the frozen water bottles, he just pushes them into his litter box, he won't lay against them. Am I overreacting or will he be fine outside?

2. Godsgrl

Godsgrl Ostrich wrangler

Aug 27, 2007
    at the zoo usually
    I wonder if you could put a soaker hose or mister above his hutch to provide a little cool water for him. I think that he should be okay with cool water to drink, and shade provided. It is really hot here as well, so I understand your concern.

3. Mzyla

Mzyla Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Upstate NY
    One of my friend's rabbit died within 2 hrs in a NY heat of maybe 90 degrees (but NY have big humidity)
    Your rabbit is suffering right now - help him by taking him to your house for a while to cool off.

4. Mzyla

Mzyla Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Upstate NY
    Oh....I was in such a rush to reply (to save the rabbit [​IMG]), that I didn't read your finishing sentences!
    You did GOOD by taking him inside!

5. CranberryCreekFarm

CranberryCreekFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2011
    Maine
    We live in Maine so it doesnt get super hot here. We use the forzen water bottles & fans to keep air circulated. Since he doesn't like the water bottles maybe try a wet towel for him to lay on???

6. Becky_H

Becky_H Chillin' With My Peeps

Rabbits use their ears for heat regulation, so yeah - that kind of heat is *dangerous* for any rabbit, and more so for him. If you can keep him inside, do. A dog crate, a plain wire cage, anything will work for summer.

7. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    I'd say that he needs to come inside full time in the summer time.

8. SueSteeves

SueSteeves Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2010
    Southern California
    I get concerned for my buns when it gets over 90 or they start panting. Mine like the frozen soda bottles, but I also use frozen floor tiles for them to lie on top of. Also, make sure they are in a shaded area. Maybe try a mister with a fan? They are pretty cheap online and attatch to a garden hose. But for 100, I would keep him inside if you can during the warmest part of the day.

9. dewey

dewey Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2010
    north of eternity
    A rabbit without ears is in extreme danger in the heat. Good that you brought him inside. He'll need to stay in a cooled area during the hot weather.

10. Okie Amazon

Okie Amazon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    Midwest City
    I put frozen 2 liter bottles in with my buns to help cool them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by