How I became a Chicken Mama (and the landlord of the Hen-Majal)

Crttr Crzy

In the Brooder
Apr 29, 2020
So after a couple of weeks of poking around this site, I finally decided to introduce myself.

So I grew up in the country, but now reside in a concrete jungle. why I ever left the country life, is beyond me! I don't have enough acreage to have free range chickens or a rooster (because of city code), so I am literally a "backyard chicken farmer". We hope to buy some acreage someday soon, but the Covid-19 thing is putting a huge damper on that. 😥 The last time I had chickens, I was maybe 10 or 12 years old, and we lived in a farmhouse on about 80 acres of farmland - that just happened to have a huge chicken pen. At one time, I think we had about two dozen hens. ( I sure do miss those days!)

My new flock is small, just enough to keep us in fresh eggs and when they are laying well, enough to share with a few friends. 😋 I became a "chicken mama" last summer,when my coworker's free range flock had a bunch of babies, and she had some to re-home. I honestly have no idea what breed they are but she calls them "jungle chickens". Anyway, she gave me two to start (each about 8 weeks old), then 3 more about 3 months later, that were also about 8 weeks old. So I now have 5 adult hens who reside in the Hen-Majal, in our modest little back yard. They pay their "rent" with delicious, eggy goodness, which is good enough for me! :celebrate

I am looking forward to meeting all of you, and to learning from those who have been at this for awhile!

-BYC-sign-flash.gif
Good CLUCK with your flock.

Congrats that you have found a way to "return:" in a small way to the country when you're living away from it. I kept 5 miniature goats in a backyard pen until I could buy them an acreage where they let me live with them, away from the sounds of civilization.

Hope that someday your girls lead you back to the country life, too. Welcome to BYC!

Back
Top Bottom