How I became queen of the bachelor squad.

dreemachine

Chirping
May 29, 2020
(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
We had chickens when I was a little girl. One night, a coyote, or something, got them all in one fell swoop.

Fast forward to today - I leveraged the pandemic to convince the family (multi-generational house) to let me do my chicken thing. I had been harping on about them for a while so I went for it. Straight run of 12, day-old baby chicks. I love them.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?

I have....
  • 6 roosters
  • 5 hens
  • 4 almost pullets and cockerels (looking like 2/2)
So that makes 15 chookey chooks.

(3) What breeds do you have?

Australorps, possible Lavender Amercauna, 5 mixed breed (includes one that may or may not be a full bantam hen.)

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?
They make the most amazing and hilarious pets. I'm just in love with my chickens. I surprisingly love my roosters the most (although I baby all my chickens). 4 of my roo's have a sort of bachelor squad and they will totally jump up on my lap and just chill with me (except Goldilocks cause he's terrified of my gaze?). I have way too many pictures of them either on my head, shoulders, or just loafing around with me outside.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?

I'm a raver, I play a lot of videogames in my spare time. I like making things, dancing, baking, basically everything.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.
I live with my mother, elderly grandparents, and my husband. He is also very attatched to our chickens and puts up with my current hand-raising of our (I think) Lavender Amercauna, even with his aversion to a messy office <3. We are in real estate and I do all of the tech support/graphic design/etc.

I live out in the country on 5 acres and let my chickens free range during the day. We have a cat, Kevin, who has done very well with the chickens. And by very well, I mean that the chickens definitely keep Kevin in line (and also steal his food). The reason I kept all of my roosters is because I was already vegetarian when I got the chickens and they ended up leading me to practical veganism (except for my chicken eggs).

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? :D

I have been visiting BYC for a couple years. I found it from reddit. I joined a while ago because I wanted to be able to ask for help and also share some of the fun pictures I've taken. I just hadn't really had much time to post so I'm finally getting around to it!

Hei 20

Free Ranging
Oct 8, 2020
(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
We had chickens when I was a little girl. One night, a coyote, or something, got them all in one fell swoop.

Fast forward to today - I leveraged the pandemic to convince the family (multi-generational house) to let me do my chicken thing. I had been harping on about them for a while so I went for it. Straight run of 12, day-old baby chicks. I love them.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?
I have....
  • 6 roosters
  • 5 hens
  • 4 almost pullets and cockerels (looking like 2/2)
So that makes 15 chookey chooks.

(3) What breeds do you have?
Australorps, possible Lavender Amercauna, 5 mixed breed (includes one that may or may not be a full bantam hen.)

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?
They make the most amazing and hilarious pets. I'm just in love with my chickens. I surprisingly love my roosters the most (although I baby all my chickens). 4 of my roo's have a sort of bachelor squad and they will totally jump up on my lap and just chill with me (except Goldilocks cause he's terrified of my gaze?). I have way too many pictures of them either on my head, shoulders, or just loafing around with me outside.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?
I'm a raver, I play a lot of videogames in my spare time. I like making things, dancing, baking, basically everything.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.

I live with my mother, elderly grandparents, and my husband. He is also very attatched to our chickens and puts up with my current hand-raising of our (I think) Lavender Amercauna, even with his aversion to a messy office <3. We are in real estate and I do all of the tech support/graphic design/etc.

I live out in the country on 5 acres and let my chickens free range during the day. We have a cat, Kevin, who has done very well with the chickens. And by very well, I mean that the chickens definitely keep Kevin in line (and also steal his food). The reason I kept all of my roosters is because I was already vegetarian when I got the chickens and they ended up leading me to practical veganism (except for my chicken eggs).

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? :D
I have been visiting BYC for a couple years. I found it from reddit. I joined a while ago because I wanted to be able to ask for help and also share some of the fun pictures I've taken. I just hadn't really had much time to post so I'm finally getting around to it!

Attachments

• 20201109_231642.jpg
    20201109_231642.jpg
    555.6 KB · Views: 4

BDutch

Naturally ❤️
Premium Feather Member
6 Years
May 19, 2015
the Netherlands
My Coop
My Coop
Welcome to this flock of humans Dree. Great intro. Love to see some some photo’s too. 📸 💕

I’m a sort of vegetarian myself too (but I do eat fish) but I don’t keep my roosters because I live in a small city with neighbours, little land and they make too much noise early in the morning. I always gave them away for free.

If you want to read more about chickens: here you find an overview of interesting articles:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/topic-of-the-week-thread-archive.72529/

Top Bottom