How I fixed my Quail's bumblefoot!

BirdNut

Crowing
9 Years
Sep 13, 2010
Suprise, Arizona
Here's a treatment, good for all birds, but mostly chicks and quail due to how much easier they are to hold during the process. I tried it, and it worked miraculously. My Quail's Bumblefoot was reduced in severity overnight.

What you'll need:
-Duramycin-10 Tetracycline Hydrochloride soluble powder. Available at most local feed stores.
-Water
-A large towel
-This requires at least two people.

Step 1. Gather your supplies, mix up the solution, and prepare your workspace. The solution does not have any specific measurements, just mix the soluble powder with the water in a cup, until you have a lump-free paste. Lay down the towel, to prevent spills from reaching the floor during the treatment.

Step 2. Get the affected bird, be sure to clean her feet if necessary, and bring her to the workspace. For birds that do not tolerate handling well, it's better to do this at night, when the bird is calmest. Make sure you have a tight grip on the bird, with feet exposed for the other person's convenience.

Step 3. Smother the affected foot/feet in a generous amount of paste, and set a timer to hold the bird for an extra ten to fifteen minutes to allow the paste to work it's magic. This may sound difficult, but hey, you get to cuddle with your sweet little feathered baby.
wink.png
After the time is up, wash the bird's feet and set her back down in her pen.

Repeat the process again, every night, until the bumblefoot appears to be gone, and then do at least one or two more treatments to ensure that it is completely gone.

Last edited:
This is kind of off topic, but years ago we had a horse with a very bad leg wound. Our old horse trainer mixed up a similar paste and smeared it on the wound every time we changed the bandage. He called it the "chicken cure". It worked when nothing else would heal the wound.

I am trying a mix of essential oils that are specific for staph infections and other illness's. I am hopeful this willw ork and if not...certainly going to try your idea. When you put the antibiotic paste on the foot, do you wrap it and leave it or just keep it on for 10 min or so then let them go?

ok, it worked on my two cochin girls, but i suspect it only is effective in the early stages, anyway, have another girl, here is yesterday and the second pic is this morning- so i will give it a few more days-

file-14.jpg

file-15.jpg

Last week my coturnix quail got same bumble feet or swollen feet. Mostly it is because of mites. Problem was that there is no vet medicine or vet doctor available nearby.

I just tried some simple medicines used for human skin and cured it. I am sharing it for the people who can not approach to vet medicines or doc and like to cure their quails.

1- Go to any medicine store and ask for Betnovate-N Cream or KANADEX-N Cream. These are basically antibiotic, anti inflammatory creams used for eczema, psoriasis and dermatitis infections. If not available then ask for any ointment that contains "Neomycin". Literature links provided below post.

2- Get a cool hair oil, like mustard oil or jasmine oil. Petroleum Jelly will be best as it softens the foot.

I applied Kanadex Cream in night only, as the birds are relaxed at night. Wash the feet with any antiseptic solution and dry it with tissue paper/cotton. Then apply the cream slowly. Just use the quantity that you think is good for your own skin. There is no need to cover the feet with wrap. Place the bird back in cage and must keep it in Dark. as in dark, birds don't move much.

In morning and noon. Wash the feet of bird, dry it and apply petroleum jelly on feet. Place the bird back in cage.

NOTE : It is best to use cellophane gloves/ cellophane bag on hands to avoid infection. Wash your hands after any direct touch to bird's feet.
If condition is already worsen then apply cream two times a day in first two days. Reduce it afterwards.

It took 4 days and my quail is healthy and thanked me with a big egg. :)

Links:
http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/skin-and-hair/medicines/betnovate-n-cream-and-ointment.html
http://druginfosys.com/Drug.aspx?drugCode=770&DrugName=Neomycin&type=1

Last edited:
I have my quail on quarter inch hardware cloth in raised cages. I have a box with hay in part of it and a sand box. I keep it really clean.. twice a day but now one of my birds died from bumblefoot and when I checked the rest of the birds they all seem to be getting it. I am going to try the paste someone mentioned but if they all make it how do I keep it from happening again? I checked and there are no rough edges. Can I put wood shavings over the wire or something to help their feet? This is my first time raising them so Im not sure what is best.

Back
Top Bottom