How I process Quail... My 6yr old helped... WARNING: Graphic Pics

I had to give up my broilers and move to a smaller property, but am getting a few rabbit hutches for quail. Do you see any reason I can't do two nails on a board and cleaver to decapitate the way I did with the broilers? I think I would have trouble using shears for it.

just remember we all(all living things) feed on other living things. congrats on being brave enough to do it yourself because in our modern society people forget the hamburger, pork chops, chicken strips, and fish fillets all oinked mooed clucked blurbed and breathed in the same air as all of us. i guess growing up on a farm i saw it and made the connection but city folks just dont get it for the most part. im afraid for a lot of people because if things do go to the crapper with the economy and all i think they will be up s... creek without a paddle

Thank you so much for this post! Thank your daughter for me, also, as those were very clear pictures that she took! Because of this post, I finally got around to processing my "extra" male coturnix that's been crowing like crazy and disturbing my neighbors (and me). I have plucked and gutted a couple of chickens before a looooong time ago, but I did not do the killing. I am brand new to quail, so I was a little reluctant to do this. However, I am a very visual learner and the step-by-step pictures really helped. I even had the laptop up on the countertop as I processed my bird!
big_smile.png
It's so nice to have this chore done, as I am the only one in the house that will be doing any processing (DH is a softie, so I'm it
tongue.png
).

Last edited:
Dr.Doorlock :

I want to praise you for showing your daughter a proper clinical attitude for an otherwise difficult task. I remember very well what my father taught me about game and livestock. He was not religous, but he did believe that all God's creatures were placed on this Earth for a purpose. We never and I will never kill what I don't eat. He taught me to clean rabbit and duck.

The sad part about rabbit is that the wild ones we hunted cannot be eaten or even cleaned because of Bubonic Plague carrying fleas. This is just one reason why we should hand down what we have learned.

I'm saving this wonderful reference for the days after moulting when I say hello to new chicks and goodbye & thank you to the birds I am raising.

WAY TO GO, Ladies!

you cant eat wild rabbit?? i never knew that! UGH! so what do you do if you keep your rabbits outside and they get the fleas anyway from being outside. can they still then carry this disease? what can you put on rabbits for flea control?​

not all rabbits have that disease but down here in texas you arent supposed to eat them during the summer months because of worms. in winter time its not as bad.

Quote:
Sure if you are comfortable with that it should work fine... I'm just WAY too big of a clutz and would take a finger off or something
ep.gif
So for me the Pruners work best.

The shears really aren't hard at all. I thought it'd be tough too, but it's like... hrmm, like cutting through a tree stick, a thin one. It's a LOT easier than it looks. In fact, I followed the guide for the first one, but then ended up not using my knife at all and just used the shears. And, if you grab one of the legs and extend it (or dangle the bird by one leg), it makes it really easy to cut the skin flap, then peel it off. Again, I use the shears to cut the skin flap.

i have a small cleaver that can split frog hair 4 ways its so sharp lol. works like a charm. ill have to trake a picture of it sometime i made it in machine shop class. made a b on it because it has a jag on one side of it where it came loose from the vise when i started milling the blunt side

i did a search looking for quail processing, and I'm also a major weenie, but your descriptions and your daughters amazing photographic journal are REALLY helpful! Especially since you seem to be coming from the same place I am. Thank you so much for sharing your experience! I have incubating eggs now.

My wonderful bf isn't going to be much help! So it'll be me. And I've never had to do anything like this before, coming from suburbia. But I do believe that I need to be more connected with where my food comes from, other than plastic wrapped in the refrigerated meat section! It's more honest, in so many ways.

I'll be rereading this OFTEN until it's time to do the deed!

Back
Top Bottom