1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How I spent my X-mas eve

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by CMV, Dec 24, 2010.

1. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    I hope everyone is having a great holiday!

I got to spend my evening performing flock maintenance. I had to leave my family gathering in a nice, cozy house with a roaring fire in the hearth to go work out in the freezing cold coop with my birds. I had the dubious privilege of getting to de-bug 19 chickens, apply 2 new saddles to barebacked hens, and put pinless peepers on an evil feather picker. Thank goodness for Eprinex. The de-bugging went very smoothly. The saddles were a success, as well; although you would have sworn I was killing the girls that got them by the screams emanating from them while I was putting them on. (Jeez, ladies! This is not the first time you have had saddles on! Relax.) The feather picker decided she didn't approve of the pinless peepers at all, and thanked me for it by biting me...HARD...and removing a fair sized chunk from my hand. At least I didn't get flogged by my ornery roo. So the chickens were settled in for their Christmas eve, and I moved on to the duck house. I had to treat an injured bird, but that meant I had to get through the watch goose to do it. She nearly beat me senseless. (Holy Cow! Those wings pack quite a wallop.) I finally managed to corner the injured duck and treated her, but in the process several ducks escaped over and through their fence. So then I got to try to round up a bunch of screeching ducks in the freezing cold, pitch black night. I got the flighty idiots back into the yard and the ducks were set for their Christmas eve.

By the time I got back into the house I am covered in unmentionable stuff with a bleeding hand and an arm the has nearly been snapped in half by the irate goose. All the birds had better appreciate my Christmas eve efforts! I'm pretty sure I heard the ducks calling me nasty names after I left, though.

Happy holidays, everyone.

2. True Grit

True Grit Chillin' With My Peeps

Good heavens! Do you get bugs in New Hampshire this time of year? I was hoping I was safe after a month of snow...No? Anyway, good for you for accomplishing so much instead of eating and drinking and having fu....never mind, good for you!

3. gumbii

gumbii Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2010
    bell gardens, ca
    i spent my xmas eve cleaning out the coops... after this rain system, the floors of the pens consist of pine shavings, food, poop and water... OMG, this was the messiest mess i had to clean up from any of my pets i have ever had...

but after i finished, i spent time with the birds and i'm glad i have them... i heart my birdies...

4. abhaya

abhaya Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2010
    cookeville, tn
    i put the gals up safe and sound came in and wrapped presents no chicken adventures here

5. Kansaseq

Kansaseq Prairie Wolf Farm Asylum

Feb 12, 2009
    NE Kansas
    I cleaned one of the coops, and released the 'babies' (4 mo old) from their safety pen, into the coop with my Ameraucanas. Will keep an eye on them tomorrow. Fun chickening on Christmas Eve!

6. joebryant

joebryant Overrun With Chickens

Are you having goose for Christmas dinner or chicken and dumplings?
    FUNNY STORY!

7. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Glad you made it out of there alive. I have 4 6 day old chicks in a shed & I was wrestling with them .The weather went from 70 to the 30's & raining. The temp. on the chicks keeps fluctuating . I'm fixin to go & check on the chicks now. Put some blue kote on that hand LOL & have a Merry Christmas.

8. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    Did it kinda look like this?
    [​IMG]
    So sorry they wanted to give you such a hard time last nigt but good for you taking care of your flocks so well!

[​IMG]

9. rolffamily

rolffamily Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2010
    Wisconsin
    I shoveled all the shavings out of the coop and laid a fresh batch-smells great now- coaxed them outside for the first time since it snowed (I stomped down an area and sprinkled it with sand) and gave them a Flock Block. Love those chickens.

10. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    CMV. Hopefully Santa was good to you after that adventure! Merry Chrismas!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by