How I'm Treating Bumblefoot without cutting/surgery

Attila the Hen

Crowing
11 Years
Nov 6, 2010
Blue Ridge GA
I have a hen who has bumblefoot on both feet. One "came to a head" on its own and there was a hard lump that I was able to pull out after soaking the foot. This was on the top of the foot and easier to manage. I continue to get dried pus out of it by digging out the scab and squeezing it gently.

However, the other foot is much worse and she has been in pain and limping. There are two areas that look swollen on top of the foot and a very small black spot on the pad.

I have been soaking her foot in Epsom salts for well over a week--once a day. After the soak (during which I ply her with treats) I smear Neosporin over the foot and wrap it with the self adhesive wrap.

The worst foot seems to be coming to a head. Last night I just scraped at the black spot with a pointed tool from my nail care case. The hard lump came off and I squeezed her foot from which pus and blood came out. Again, I put on Neosporin and wrapped it. She seems a bit better today but I think it will be a process over time getting the infection out completely.

I also administered Meloxicam (1/4 of 15 mg) wrapped in banana. I only started this the last couple of days because she seemed to limp so badly.

I am happy to share her progress if anyone is interested. I am one of those people who couldn't bear to cut into her foot.

I would love to know how she comes along. I too have a hen with bumblefoot and really don't want to cut on her. At our house, we soak everything in Epsom Salts. Can't imagine why I haven't thought of it before, wonderful idea. I'm going to start her on a regiment tonite and see how it works. (Her issue is an old one, but I sure will give it a try) Thanks so much!

I read on here that it is a safe pain reliever for chickens. I did not come up with it. It is an NSAID (pain reliever) made for humans and available by prescription only. One of the sources recommended 1/4-1/2 of a pill at 7.5mgs.

You can also research aspirin as a pain reliever for chickens.

One tip.....if you simply wrap the foot with vet wrap for an extended period..2 weeks if not too severe...the bumble and skin will soften to the point you can peel back the skin and pop out the kernal and white stuff. Epsom baths work okay but are a bit stressful on the bird and you need at least 20 min of soaking every night for it to work. Just wrap it for 1 to 2 weeks, unwrap, pop it out and disinfect and pack with poly and gauze, changing every 3 to 4 days and you are good to go. I make it a habit to scan my flocks feet 2 a week to check for swelling between the toes.

I really appreciate the comment. I may be changing the bandage too often (daily). Her bumblefoot is severe and I was able to pull back the tiny black part and expose a small hole which I squeezed gently. Got stuff out of it but only the first time when it was exposed. Hopefully, it will sort of come to a head again and I will keep plugging away at it.

Yes it is stressful to a point. I take her in the bathroom and I can leave her with her foot in the bowl and she is still in the same position when I return. I don't touch her during the soak. I give her tasty snacks as well.

I have a sultan roo with a roo attitude who let me bathe him and blow dry him. Don't know if they are cooperative in the bathroom because they think its where the knife will fall on them and they are in shock. I'm not entirely clear on chicken psychology......
thanks again

Update on bumblefoot.

I decided to listen to Woobsie and not subject the hen to a soaking tonight. Instead I decided just to change the dressing since it rained today. What a difference!! One of the two very swollen areas has gone down completely! I have been addressing this foot for at least 2 weeks now.

I will let her go another day or two before changing the dressing and soaking the foot.

I only gave meloxicam for a few days at the worst of it. It continues to be a slow process. I have kept the foot wrapped continuously and have changed the bandage nearly every day. The bandaged foot is looking better but the little black opening isn't producing anything--even when I pull it gently off. It appears the bumble is starting to form a head on top of her foot. I think that's better for keeping clean and treating when its ready to be addressed.

I have few hens and so value each one. I will continue working on this foot as it is little trouble to me.

Just an update. My methods seem to be producing limited results. The bumble appears to be moving to one place which makes it easier to address. However, the hen doesn't seem well at all today. Didn't want to leave the coop, isn't eating and feels thin. I have seen her eat normally. I think she is beginning to molt which will not help her fight the infection. Considering bringing her in to keep her warm. It's about 55 degrees out.

Back
Top Bottom