1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How important is a roost in the coop?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by DangerChickenHouse, Sep 2, 2011.

1. DangerChickenHouse

DangerChickenHouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2011
    Charlotte, NC
    What is it's purpose?

At what age is it important for a chick to have a roost?

(i'm new to this [​IMG])

2. brahmakid11

brahmakid11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2011
    sitting on the toilet
    it is very important to have a roost

3. Sportsterjeep

Sportsterjeep Creekside Acres Farm

Jun 1, 2010
    Mill Hall PA
    Roosts depend on the breed. It gives them a place to fly up to and perch during the night, and sometimes during the day. Some breeds will use them, some will not(silkies). Some like high roosts while others prefer a closer to the ground roost. I put a practice bar in the brooder at a couple weeks old that they use. It's only about 3 to 4 inches above the shavings.

What breed(s) do you have?

4. cravenchx

cravenchx Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2011
    Piedmont of NC
    We had used small twigs when they were 3 weeks
    old in the brooder. Soooo cute:love

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Well, it helps them not to have to sleep in their own poop. And they naturally like to be above the ground because of their inclination to avoid predators at night when they cannot see.

6. DangerChickenHouse

DangerChickenHouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2011
    Charlotte, NC
    I have Buff Orpingtons. They have had a stick sized perfectly for their feet since they were 3 weeks old. I've switched it out as they have gotten older. They never use it though. At night, we put them up and shut the door. They spend the night huddled around the door. We move them back and place them on the stick, but they re-huddle by the door.

My plan was to build a real roost this week. But, I'm beginning to wonder if it will be a waste of time. They are about 8-9 weeks now. One is 4 weeks.

7. Sportsterjeep

Sportsterjeep Creekside Acres Farm

Jun 1, 2010
    Mill Hall PA
    No, I wouldn't call it a waste of time. Some will use it as they get older, some might not. The orps that I've had in the past have used a roost.

8. AlienChick

AlienChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Glasgow, KY
    Put the roosts in.

If they don't want to use it, so what?

Most of mine use the roosts; however, there is always a clump of chickens piled up in a corner on the floor every night.

[​IMG]

9. CockadoodlePoo

CockadoodlePoo Out Of The Brooder

May 19, 2011
    New Jersey
    My Coop
    I have two roosts inside of my coop made of old, thick wooden curtain rods and I painted large branches and screwed them in place in my run. The chickens sleep on the roosts inside the coop every night and spend a good portion of the day on the roosts in the run. They love them. It is also a good way for my hens to get away from a frisky rooster!

10. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I have roosts as low as 6 inches for things like silkies, and roosts about 30 inches for the standards. Everyone eventually learns to roost. It really helps keep them out of their poop.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by