How important is -big end up- when storing eggs for hatching?

klf73

Mad Scientist
14 Years
Jun 1, 2008
Maine
I bought some eggs(12) locally from a breeder. When I received the eggs a few(4) were small side up. 1 was older and had bubbles, the rest started to develop. Along the way I lost 1 more about day 7 and 2 more today on day 15, 1 I had posted about looking *funny*, kind of stuck to the side despite turning 3x a day. Is it coincidence that I lost 4 and 4 were wrong side up in the carton? I didn't keep track which were upside down, just fixed them. They sat anywhere up to 7 days upside down before I got them. They are La Fleche. Any info available on storing them wrong before incubating? Scientific data? Theories?
Thanks everyone
Krista

Very important, also they need to be turned every day and stored at a cool temp.
Reason for turning to keep the yolk from sticking to the shell.
reason for keeping small end down to keep the air cell on the large end. Where the chick should pip from.

I know about the air cell, etc., but was trying to figure if it was absolute. Like when I noticed the eggs upside down, should I have just tossed them? Is it a factor that would just destroy the chances of the egg ever developing? Also, I doubt he turned them and that is probably why the one I noticed was "stuck" had an issue.
Thanks
Krista

Sometimes I think we worry about things way too much. The hens sure don't worry about keeping the big end up on the eggs they're laying.....I haven't yet seen one standing with the big end up in the nest!!
smile.png
And they generally have a much better hatch rate than we do!!

I was only trying to troubleshoot this hatch, I have never lost this many non-shipped eggs. I have lost 1/3 so far
hmm.png
. I know it's not the bator cuz I have eggs from 2 other sources in there without these problems. Hopefully I get at least a trio out of the remaining eggs.
fl.gif

Krista

The small end up,does not happen in the nest. That the trouble even laying eggs flat works. As long as you turn them. The egg carton is just to keep them store easier.
Yes I would think your bad hatch was because of improper treatment of the eggs those 7 days before you got them.
Yes the hens turn her egg even before she goes broody.
With most of the newer incubators you will have alot higher hatch rate than the hen.
I know I have.

So going to put it another way do NOT store eggs SMALL END UP.
Also best store at temp. around 60 degree.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom