How important is humidity?

MysticTrev

Chirping
Mar 6, 2018
So I got a incubator last week, set it up, did a test run for a few days. Temp and humidity stayed where they needed to be.

Assuming everything was fine I put my eggs in it yesterday, went to work, come home 15 hours later, and humidity was below 45%. I’m assuming that since we’re not even 24 hours in I’m ok?

I did get the humidity up to 54% but I’m worried what if this happens when I’m further along in the process? How often should I add water to the chamber?

Sorry nervous first time Hatcher here. I attached a photo of incubator just in case it’s needed.

Attachments

• E1FCCC52-B279-4A0F-8921-E30B6214F0A6.jpeg
    E1FCCC52-B279-4A0F-8921-E30B6214F0A6.jpeg
    287.8 KB · Views: 9
Humidity is very important, but it's more important as an average than as a day to day thing.

Actually to me it sounds like you have it too high. 30% is what I keep it at. Above 50% and none of my eggs would lose enough moisture and they would all die before hatching. But it does vary from location to location, so you'll need to monitor the air cells to see what's going to work for you and adjust as needed. Personally I would start with it somewhere around 40%, see how that goes, and then adjust if necessary.

Oh! I was going by what was on the sheet provided with the incubator. It recommended a humidity of 50-60% for chickens.

I have the same model you have. First time hatching in an incubator so....

My incubator has averaged 40-45%humidity. I too read the recommended humidity for this model is 55-60%. I have read until my brain hurts - to me, I think the 40-45% is o.k.
I candled this morning and the air cells are o.k., but not quite where I think they should be at 15days, so I may actually let the humidity go lower since we are going to have rain all week.

I go no higher than 45% and it will slowly drop to about 32% throughout 24 hours I add water to sponges to get what I need. My house is at 70% humidity so it effects the incubator if I add to much water.

Back
Top Bottom