How important is the Marek's Disease Vaccination?

Should I self vaccinate the chicks?

• No, it's a hassle and they will live fine lives without it.

Votes: 4 26.7%
  • Yes, it's an important vaccine.

Votes: 11 73.3%

• Total voters
Thanks, I still haven't gotten the vaccine, but I'm looking around and I believe I found a few places that carry it. My first round of chicks just hatched today, and the second round will hatch in 2 and a half weeks. The first batch was only 4 chicks, so I will wait and buy the vaccine and try to vaccinate them all when the new ones hatch. Is it ok to vaccinate them at 2 and a half weeks old or must it be at 1 day of age. I have never delt with Mareks, but hearing all of these stories makes me more nervous. I never even realized there were vaccines until I starting thinking of showing them. So I will vaccinate them, do you guys reccomend any other vaccines? I don't want to spend a fortune, but I see about 10 out there and each one sounds important, but I will definately not be vaccinating for that many things. Thinking about all these diseases really makes me think twice about showing them...

thumbsup.gif

Last edited:
Cochins, you'll have to order the vaccine and they ship it on ice packs. It has to be kept cold. I have ordered my from Twincitiespoultrysupply. Their shipping is reasonable.

I can't comment on other illnesses because I've only been dealing with Marek's. I think alot depends on whether you have a closed flock or an open flock, open meaning other than day olds or your own hatches. I'm sure there are alot of people here who show their birds and can tell you what's good to vaccinate for.

Ok, hmm.. the twin cities in MN, it's about an hour and 15 min. from here. I'll have to look that up. Thanks, some of my friends said there was a tractor supply store about an hour away with tons of refridgerators full of vaccines. And someone else said that most feed mills sell them, I haven't checked with the local ones yet, but some are pretty run down so I doubt they sell them.

Back
Top Bottom