How in the duck do you train a duck?

AislanHay

In the Brooder
Mar 22, 2017
I just moved my wonderful ducks outside to their home! Yay! The only issue that I am having is they don't understand the concept of going up the ramp into their duck house. They will literally sit outside all day until I get home and guide them up the ramp. They know to go down the ramp far enough so they can jump off but that is about it. Any suggestions on how to train my ducks up the ramp?! Thanks!

Ducks and geese are known to have large difficulty getting up ramps due to their huge webbed feet, it isn't a problem with training at all! Most people will install small steps for them to help, as I have done with my waterfowl. Hope this helps!

Thanks so much! I installed 4 in steps, so hopefully that helps them gain the traction they need to get up the ramp better! Thanks for your input, I really really appreciate all the help I can get! Being the new kid on the block can be tough.

Thanks so much! This forum has been so incredibly helpful on my journey so far! I love owning ducks and I've decided I need more than 5 for sure! haha.

I just moved my wonderful ducks outside to their home! Yay! The only issue that I am having is they don't understand the concept of going up the ramp into their duck house. They will literally sit outside all day until I get home and guide them up the ramp. They know to go down the ramp far enough so they can jump off but that is about it. Any suggestions on how to train my ducks up the ramp?! Thanks! 

How steep is your ramp? Ducks use ramps just fine, but they can't navigate the steeper ones chickens use with ease...

The other thing is that ducks do not like change, so going outside where they spend their day is much easier for them to grasp the concept of than going into a new house at night, like after transferring from the brooder to their adult duck house... consistency and keeping it a schedule does wonders in training ducks, and bribery is never frowned upon, lol... favorite treats can help speed up the process, like a trail leading up the ramp... ;)

But yes, ducks are very trainable, the hard part is adding new things or disrupting the schedule... patience is key...

Mine use a ramp going from their coop to their run, but it took them a while to understand. Originally they'd fly over it going out and they'd climb over the side to get in, trying to avoid stepping on it. I eventually added grip strips to it and trained them by crouching down in front of the door and tossing peas on the ramp until they slowly explored it. They've been using it well for almost a year now with no problems.

Food always helps.
wink.png

Last edited:
Great thanks so much! I am thinking my ramp is too steep. I'll run out side and take a picture, I could use a second opinion.

Back
Top Bottom