how is the breed Australorp?

australorplover

In the Brooder
May 9, 2015
Griswold Connedicut
hey every one i was wondering if australorps are loud are their other charateristics that i should know about before i raise Aus. chicks?
hmm.png

everyone says they are good friendly hens
idunno.gif
and good layers i heard in a book that this australorp laid 354/365 days!
please let me know
thanks,
Australorplover
D.gif

I only have australorp chicks right now that are a few weeks old but they're very friendly and love to look around. They're also pretty good with the day old chicks they're sharing a brooder with right now.

Hi! My Australorp girls just started laying in March and have been very dependable layers of medium to large brown eggs. They usually produce an egg every day! Mine are very friendly and and vocal, and they are very peaceful birds- no pecking or harassing each other. They can be on the larger side so make sure to give them plenty of room in nest boxes and roosts!

Australorps are my favorite standard breed. I've raised them for years (along with dozens of other breeds), and they are extremely hardy in both heat and cold, calm and gentle (my children and granddaughter made lap pets of them), and the best layers of the standard, brown egg laying breeds. The brown egg laying is in fact held by a Black Australorp with 364 eggs in 365 days, and while none of mine have ever reached that kind of production (and likely never will), I've still had some of mine lay over 300 eggs in a year. As far as noise levels go, Australorp hens, like any breed, will sing the egg song when they lay, but my Australorps have always been pretty quiet (as chickens go). :eek:)

You've made a wise choice in the Australorp. She is a wonderful, calm hen. Very vocal but not load. I've raised them for years. In just a few more weeks I'll have sixteen Australorp girls moving up from the pullet house to the hen house. They are reliable great layers. I've never had one go broody but I have Buff's for that :) Good luck and keep us posted.

Back
Top Bottom