How is the lavender colored chicken created

Quote:
Correct... now keep in mind that the shade of Platinum Blue can vary alot due to Melanin enhancers, I have seen normal blues(Bl/bl) that almost look black and I have seen Dun(I^D/i+) that are very Dark chocolate colored, but I have also seen vary paled colored blues and dun...

Quote:
Correct... now keep in mind that the shade of Platinum Blue can vary alot due to Melanin enhancers, I have seen normal blues(Bl/bl) that almost look black and I have seen Dun(I^D/i+) that are very Dark chocolate colored, but I have also seen vary paled colored blues and dun...

Yeah, that is kind of where i am with this as well, 9 generations down and variation is normal from light to dark. It just really caught me when I saw that pullet that looked so much like these OE, I have suspected both Dun and Lav to be at play it took the first 4-5 generations to get them to breed one constant chick down color and pattern, I then kept one part of the line clean without crossing and crossed a darker male over some Rec. white hens for type improvement. That took 3 generations to get to good color but dramatically improved Type, and lets face it without proper type they are just chickens, with good type they are the breed.

Quote:
the color of your boy is very nice..... what name are you calling this shade of blue? Mr. Henk calls it Platinum Blue, some call it Dominant Lavender, I would say Platinum Blue is correct...
cool.png

Edit..do you have more pics of your birds?...

Last edited:
Quote:

Yeah, that is kind of where i am with this as well, 9 generations down and variation is normal from light to dark. It just really caught me when I saw that pullet that looked so much like these OE, I have suspected both Dun and Lav to be at play it took the first 4-5 generations to get them to breed one constant chick down color and pattern, I then kept one part of the line clean without crossing and crossed a darker male over some Rec. white hens for type improvement. That took 3 generations to get to good color but dramatically improved Type, and lets face it without proper type they are just chickens, with good type they are the breed.

So are these OE opals? Seems like I read that opals were tested for lavender, and proved to not have lavender?

Quote:

So are these OE opals? Seems like I read that opals were tested for lavender, and proved to not have lavender?

they are what is being called Opal, there have been so many crosses made with birds that were already crosses and not having had the crosses breed back out I do not believe anyone can say that they are or or not something. the birds we started with were from teh original birds hatched in 05 and we were hatching 5 chick down colors and turned into several different birds. Crossing something unstable onto something and producing 10 does not prove that is or is not anything.
how many Pics would you like? I have so many as we have gone through the process and virtually every mating was photo recorded.

Quote:
the color of your boy is very nice..... what name are you calling this shade of blue? Mr. Henk calls it Platinum Blue, some call it Dominant Lavender, I would say Platinum Blue is correct...
cool.png

I worked with the genetleman who hatched this particular line in 05 to write a proposed standard last year. They are being reffered to as Opal at this time but I honestly expect the name to be changed as we submitt for APA and ABA variety recognition.

Quote:
so they are Opals? I thought they were Platinum Blue..but I guess they would have similar phenotypes, as I would also guess combining sex link choc with eather Lave or Blue(Bl) would yield something simmilar.. someone at the Clasroom at the coop forums is working with Choc and lavender, dont know what is he going to call this color..

I like the fact that you have documented the mating thru photos as most books dont have this valued info...

post what you believe will educate us the most, I love to learn new things...
tongue.png

Quote:
cool.png

this male was the direct of a cross with Rec. white.
30249_05-04-10_1400.jpg

an F2 Pullet from the male above and one of his sisters
30249_2010_opal_pullet.jpg

One of her Cockrells from this year:
30249_sany1607.jpg

As you can tell I have been working on type and color as a secondary, I have been moderately curious as to the genetic origin however have no interest in creating hundreds more culls just running test matings. I find that it is more worthwhile to work the bird toward good OE type, and feather quality and take the color as asecondary issue.

Back
Top Bottom